Crashing at the bottom? Fish sick?

1. Renzjs6597 Initiate Member

Hey guys i've had my fish for about 4 months now and everything is going fine. Well except for today when i noticed one of my red wag tails was crashing at the bottom of the tank? I did some research online and i read that this meant that my fish was tired? The last time i cleaned the tank was about 2 weeks ago, i have a sand bottom (which gets dirty very quickly? how do i solve this?) everything else in the water is normal.
    Another one of my platies has a little bump/sore above it's tail and dorsal fin. It looks like an open wound filled with pus. Again, i only saw it today!! (I look at my fish everyday) What can this be? Has something suddenly gone wrong with my tank? All my other fish are doing fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ladygold Initiate Member

Your fish might be flashing. Your comment about "crashing at the bottom of the tank" reminded me of what my goldfish was doing last week. He was bouncing around on the gravel and would sometimes hit the glass. The only thing I could attribute it to was the ammonia (0.25 ppm) in the tank. -My tank is newly established and still in the cycling process, so I have to keep close watch on toxin levels and do frequent water changes. Sounds to me like your tank might be a little dirty (from your comment about sand substrate and cleaning the tank 2 weeks ago). Try testing your ammonia and nitrite levels? And find a good vacuum that allows you to more regularly clean your substrate since you know your sand gets dirty quickly. :)

As to the sores, I have to let someone else answer that! Good luck!

3. cameronpalte Member Member

Agree with lady gold. Your tank may be dirty. Do a 25% water change and beforehand try testing your ammonia levels. If they are high also use prime to help.

4. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore.

According to your profile, your 15G tank is holding 3 platys, 4 Giant Danios and 1 Betta. Unfortunately your tank is much too small for these fish. An overcrowded tank will always get dirty fast!

Do you know what your water parameters are? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, etc? If you do not own a test kit, I recommend the API Freshwater Master Kit. It costs a little bit more, but will last well over a year.

I recommend daily water changes for at least a week. Then retest the water to see where your parameters are at. If the tank still has measurable ammonia or nitrite, continue with another week of daily water changes. I suspect that the combination of being overstocked, possibly under filtered and dirty from lack of water changes/gravel vacs has lead to fish acting unusually.

5. Renzjs6597 Initiate Member

I have cleaned the tank and changed the water, i tested it before and everything was normal. Nitrate and Nitrite at 0, ammonia at 0, Ph perfect. I don't over feed them, i've had them for quite a while and they've been doing perfectly fine until recently.

6. stashattack Member Member

NitrAtes should not be at 0. This is a sign that your tank is not cycled yet. You should have a measurable of Nitrates, but nothing too high, ie between 5-20ppms. I would say keep doing water changes until you get a readying of Nitrates, so that the other harmful toxins do not build up in the tank.

Also consider upgrading to a larger tank or rehoming some of the fish so that you are no longer overstocked.

7. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

0 reading for nitrite, ammonia, and nitrate indicates and uncycled tank. How long is awhile?