Crap! Accidentally fed WAY too much

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by kujoe, Mar 17, 2010.

1. k

kujoe New Member Member

Ok, so today when I went to feed my Flame Tetras (von rios) my son bumped me and I dumped a heck of a lot of flakes in the tank. I tried to scoop up as much as possible, but a lot of them sank and when I try to grab them by hand they just crumble worse.

The fish definitely loved it and are darting around eating as much as they can...but even if they're gluttons there's no way they can eat all that.

What do I do? Just leave it? I'm in the middle of a cycle WITH fish using a product similar to TSS. It's called "Stability" and it's made by the same people that make Prime.

Help! Please!

2. Cichlidude

Cichlidude Valued Member Member

Grab your fish net and start scooping. Then just don't feed for a few days. They should be fine.

3. OP
    OP
    k

kujoe New Member Member

I've been watching them, and they look eager to eat anything that's floating around in their tank, but they seem to ignore anything on the bottom of the tank. Is that stuff a lost cause?

How long can they go without being fed?

Thanks again!

4. angelfish220

angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

I would gravel vac the extra flakes up. And healthy fish can go for at least 2 days without eating, probably more but I've never fasted mine that long so I can't say for sure.

5. Cichlidude

Healthy fish can go a lot longer that 2 days, more like 5-6 days with no issues.

6. OP
    OP
    k

kujoe New Member Member

Is gravel vacuuming smart considering the tank is in the middle of a cycle?

7. Cichlidude

Your only going to vacuum the food, so a light vacuum is fine.

8. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Yup, surface gravel vac, you don't want to leave it in there as it will contribute to rising ammonia levels and since you are cycling with fish you don't want that. Goodluck!

9. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Sadly while Stability is similar to SafeStart, it is different in one very important aspect. The bacteria contained in Stability is a terrestria bacteria that will only live in an aquatic environment for a short amount of time, then dies off. This is why the instructions have you add it every week...for the life of the tank.

SafeStart contains the aquatic form of the bacteria. You add it once and you're good forever.

10. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sure at one point or another, we've all had an "oops" moment with fish food. Now, I put the containers on the dining room table, mix what I want in the palm of my hand and then just sprinkle that into the tank. No margin for error here. I would never just shake a container (not that that's what happened with you) over my tanks. Not with 3 dogs and a husband running around. :oops:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice