Cranky Tiger Barbs 55 Gallon Tank

1. TaDah

TaDah Valued Member Member

Good evening everyone! I have noticed that my barbs have gotten extra crabby. A couple have lost some of their coloring and they are being very nippy at each other. My biggest barb barely has any front fins and his tail fin on the bottom is near nipped off. It makes me sad to see my fish stressed and hurting another. How can I fix this?

I have 18 tiger barbs (6 littles were added yesterday)

2. OP
    OP
    TaDah

Should I put my big one with no front fins in a separate quarantine tank til he gets better???? I have one butthead fish...

3. OP
    OP
    TaDah

I'm extremely worried, please I need advice.

4. SixThreeOh

SixThreeOh Valued Member Member

They're reestablishing their hierarchy since new barbs were added. Give it some time. I wouldn't move the one unless it's being bullied to death. They can take quite a beating from each other.

5. OP
    OP
    TaDah

I noticed this was the case before I added them. I thought maybe adding a few more would help the schooling a little better since there were 20 at one point and all was well

6. SixThreeOh

SixThreeOh Valued Member Member

I had 19 in a 75g and they were constantly battling each other. The dominant male always had ripped fins and seemed to be in bad shape, but he never backed down. Do they have places to hide?

7. OP
    OP
    TaDah

They do but my big one is pretty beat up and they corner him and hes doing that angled swim thing. Should I add more hiding? He usually stays in my Deku Tree 20180526_142429.jpg