Craigslist: Deal or no deal on the following equipment

1. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Hi all,

I never know if I'm getting a decent deal or not. I'm wondering if the following setup is worth the cost of $220...
    http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/4557123810.html

I am selling a 55 gallon Aquarium Tank with Extras. Tank and stand is in good condition.
    Comes with:
    Tank and Stand
    Canister Filter
    40lbs river rocks
    2 air bubble machines
    Hood Light and aquarium decorations

The decorations would likely leave as well as the river rocks (unless I just put pool sand over them). The filter is rated for a 90 gallon and you can see pictures of it in the post. I'm look for a 55-60 gallon tank that I can make look like a river bed with manzanita wood going down into the substrate throughout the whole tank. This would be a killifish only tank (1 male per 2-3 female).

I can't get the poster to go lower than $220.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Maybe if you turned up with a nice wad of cash he'd take $200 ;)
    Seriously though second hand tanks don't hold their value & over here in some of my facebook groups I've seen tanks that size go for as little as £60/70.
    It's really only worth what you're willing to pay for it, & I wouldn't agree a deal before you've seen it with water in & inspected it thoroughly for any leaks & wear & tear.
    Make him an offer & leave him with it, I can't honestly see it being snapped up at that price unless prices are very different there & with your $ per gallon sales you could probably get a new set up or at least a brand new tank & second hand stand for less.

3. troyvsc Well Known Member Member

Considering Petsmart had a brand new 60 gallon Marineland tank, hood, and stand set for $150.00 this past weekend and runs this same . It is not that great of a deal specially if you don't plan on using the rocks.

4. Jim Well Known Member Member

A brand new 55 during Petco's Dollas sale is $55 + a Sun Sun canister is under $100. You still have $70 to get other NEW stuff.

5. troyvsc Well Known Member Member

You are forgetting about the stand, which a nicer stand will be well over $70. Not to mention hood and lights.

Yeah I remember the $40 I spent on a tank that turned into over $400 spent on the whole setup and I did everything on real good sale or DIY except for the LED lights.

6. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

It's really the stand/hood/filter that has me even considering the price. The filter, Aquatop DF300, is worth about $110 (new)...

I am seeing plenty of similar tanks going for $100-$125 USD, but many of these come with pitiful filters and no stands.

But I appreciate this feedback! Hopefully I will hear from some of the other craigslist ads I responded to!

7. troyvsc Well Known Member Member

Just for reference to other deals. I bought a 80G VIZIO with glass top, light, AC110 filter (no media), UV sterilizer, $75 worth of decorations (not using so didn't figure into value I paid), 3 water pumps, aqueon water changer and a bunch of other misc stuff some useful some not, for $200. Hope you get a good deal on whatever you decide to do.

8. smee82 Well Known Member Member

Personally i would pay no more then $150 to $180 for the whole setup and Id want to see it up and runing with water in the tank.

9. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Thanks all for the solid advice! I think, deep down, I had similar sentiments, but I have a really hard time being patient for an actual deal like Troyvcs described...

But, patience is a virtue...

10. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Ok all... new deal!

I think someone is offering a tank with the same dimensions, including a nice stand, driftwood, heater, etc... and an Eheim Prof II filter (which I believe retails over $300!) For a total cost of $175. Sounds a lot better to me. It's no Troyvcs deal, but I think that filter/stand really has me sold on it...

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/4543101912.html

11. lorianne621 Member Member

I think that either of the two tanks you are looking at look like good tanks, assuming that they are in good condition and everything works.
    If you are not willing to wait a little bit and watch Craigslist everyday for a few weeks for a better deal then I don't think you are being hurt much paying for either of these two tanks when compared to what you pay for new equipment.
    My first tank I did the exact same thing. I was in a hurry and paid a little more for a used tank than I really should have. Then because I really wanted more tanks I began watching Craigslist while I setup and "played" with the tank I already have. I have noticed that 55 gallon tanks are very common and they most often come with a stand. They are not like smaller tanks that can be placed on a table or a shelf. It took me just over 6 weeks to find a 55 gallon tank on Craigslist after my initial purchase of another tank. It came in a lot of 5 tanks. 2-10 gallons, 1- 5 gallon cube, 1-30 gallon hex and the 55 gallon. All came with stands and gravel and filters and heaters. Two of the 10s shared one stand and I replaced one filter because I didn't like it. I got it all for $250. I am in Kansas City... Not sure how prices compare but they shouldn't be that far off.
    So, now you have the information I have to give you and you can make an educated choice. Good luck to you and have fun!

12. andiok Member Member

in this case what I do....is that i contact the first seller and let him know with the new offer that you have. usually they go lower at this point, but..... even $200 its not a deal for me.

i just sold for $100 a 50G and a rena x3 canister (not h0od and lights though)
    big tanks are a hassle for people who wants to get rid of em (moving or downgrading) so you'll get a deal. dont rush but...if you're inpatient then go ahead with the second deal. a stand, you can still build it under $15-20 with lumber

13. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

FYI, i just sold a 55G Marineland tank, magnum 350 canister, Tetra 60 air pump, (2) Aquatop heaters, nets, decor, gravel, food, water treatment for $80. Patience is key :)

14. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Be sure to let me know when you are having that deal again... :)

15. m50 Member Member

The first tank you linked to now says $175

16. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Haha funny. I ended up getting a 50 gal tempered glass (hard to come by) bow front with stand for a really good price, that still blows that one out of the water. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

17. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What is the difference between tempered glass and normal glass?

18. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Tempered is heated at higher temperatures which makes it a lot stronger. Most bowfront tanks are acrylic because it is more malleable than glass, but it also scratches more easily than glass.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

19. SW5 Well Known Member Member

Also, tempered glass cannot be drilled, because when one part breaks... The whole thing comes tumbling down.

20. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Also true!

I've seen a few posts of people taking their glass tanks to the LFS to have it drilled and fitted only to find they can't. That's if they are lucky and the local LFS knows to look for things like stamps or markings that indicate it's tempered. Otherwise, they end up with lots of itty bitty pieces of glass....