Craigslist Buyer Beware

TanksfortheMemories

I got a good deal on some (10) adult F1 Tropheus Duboisi Maswa yellow band a while back for a great deal on Craigslist. I asked about the ratio and the guy said two males 8 females. Great so I bought them.

Months later I was able to buy a dozen female breeders and put them in the tank. Not knowing much about venting, I pulled suspected males one by one from my initial group and as I'd pull one male, another would step up on the hierarchy and start chasing the females one after the next. So I ended up pulling 7 males from my initial group of 10.

So my 2:8 ended up being 8:2 no wonder why my females weren't holding to term.

Good news is now my breeding tank is 1:14, I now know what to look for when venting and the extra males get to hang out with a grow out group of Moliro's that, as soon as the new guys showed up, were cured of their shyness.

Anyway just my experience buying from craiglist.

So now I'll probably just put the extras up for sale on Craigslist.

A201

Be sure to price them high. Tropheus are $22 a piece at my LFS.

BigManAquatics

It is buyer beware EVERYWHERE when it comes to sexing fishes. Best course of action is to do the research yourself so you can verify with your own eyes what gender you're buying, especially when it is a type of fish that gender REALLY matters :)

mimo91088

It is buyer beware EVERYWHERE when it comes to sexing fishes. Best course of action is to do the research yourself so you can verify with your own eyes what gender you're buying, especially when it is a type of fish that gender REALLY matters :)
I really could not agree more with this. I've even caught people I consider to be knowledgeable hobbyists in general pretending they knew how to sex a specific fish because they were embarrassed to say "I don't know".

DuaneV

Not trying to pile on here, but its always buyer beware. You have to know EXACTLY what youre buying. Ask all necessary questions, research, etc., and you wont run into trouble. Glad you got it sorted out.

Similar Aquarium Threads

120 Gallon Tank Tropheus Duboisi Holding
Replies
Views
TanksfortheMemories
Replies
Views
TanksfortheMemories
Replies
Views
Emra700
  • Question