Craigslist (and Similar Sites) Used Tanks

1. Retro

Retro New Member Member

Is it just me and my area (western kentucky, southern Illinois), are or others seeing that Craigslist ads for used tanks are WAY over priced? I can't seem to find any tanks for less then 75-90% of the price for a new one. Is this a trend or are bigger city area's more reasonable?

2. S

SKYE.__.HIGH Valued Member Member

I got an ADA 120-P perfect condition with a stand light and filter for 175$ in Oregon we have very reasonably priced tanks. Hope you can find a nice deal

3. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

I have seen both here in Las Vegas. Some tanks look horrible and are priced like they are new from the store while others are pristine and come with everything for pennies on the dollar. I think it's really just a crapshoot. You get what happens to come up at the moment. Keep searching and jump on a great deal!

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

It doesn't hurt to barter with them. If the tank looks good give them a low price. Your basically looking for a price that you think is best for you.

So if a 125g tank was on sale for $300 you should go in thinking you don't want to pay no more than $150-$200. First offer should be $100 for the tank. They'll counter and you'll counter. If they won't budge you leave. They're the ones that want to get rid of the tank you walking away might get them to take your offer just to get rid of it

5. S

Alright in my opinion you should never offer 100 dollars for something that they wanted 300 for. I am into business and what I have found with years of experience is that if you insult them and act as if your doubting their price then it will not go as planned. If you where ever looking for something that was in the 300 dollar range then I think the minimum you should go is half. That's literally 50% of what they wanted, if they say okay then great but in the end you will get it for generally 200$ or 1/3 off. When you low ball them to a far to low extent they tend to not like it, but when you fire back with a price that's higher then they know you can go higher, at this point you are practically begging and as many thousands of business people have said "beggars cannot be choosers". That is my philosophy anyway.

6. ounderfla69

ounderfla69 Valued Member Member

Craigslist isn't business it a cheap way of getting rid of something, unlike auction sites where you paying a service. You can find some great deals on craigslist but you need to look constantly. Ninety five percent of stuff is way over priced three to four times so offering $100 for something that is being listed at $300 is the difference being the item being sold and sitting on craigslist for months. I've found a 75 gallon acrylic tank a stand and a 30 gallon tank for the sump for less then $200 but it took almost a year and I had to drive a couple hours for the stand. Most people don't realize when you buy most things the store it loses 40% of its value but with aquariums once set up its lost even more value in most cases.

7. Fashooga

People do business differently, you can always offer lower then what they want to take sellers out of the cloud that they'll get a highest they can get. Negotiations can be any number you wish it to be. It's really about sticking to the amount that you want to spend and learning when to walk away from the deal. Often people on Craigslist put items to get rid of stuff, much like a garage sale, if you want to get rid of it you'll take whatever you can get to get rid of the said item.

8. S

That's why I said in my opinion. It's just the way I do it.

9. Docgab

Docgab New Member Member

Good Lord. Nice find. Where in Oregon? I am in Southern Oregon and I can't find a 125 with stand for under $500.

10. S

I live in Eugene, but I do a lot of business in Portland and Vancouver W, I bought the tank in Portland. The tank and stand where great, slightly dirty and the lighting was not good enough for an ADA tank....cough, cough. I also bought a huge aquarium nick nacks box at a st. Vinnies for 15 bucks with a fluval 306 BRAND NEW IN THE BOX

11. Fashooga

I might as well get on the train...Portland, OR...my wife found a set of new golf clubs years ago for $100...retail $450...I thought the box was "hot" (stolen).

12. S

Ain't that bad