Cracks in snail shell

armstronct

I ordered some mystery snails and they arrived today. the rest of them seemed to be perfectly fine, but one of them has a pretty large crack in its shell. Fortunately it doesnt seem that any of its body is bulging out, and theres not a gaping hole or anything, but the crack spans across a large portion of its shell. I could just get it replaced from the company, but i would feel terrible for the poor little snail if i just let it die. So, I researched some repair techniques ranging from using marine epoxy, plaster of paris, crazy glue, nail varnish, and eggshells, but im not sure which is the best. I feel like using epoxy/plaster may be overkill since theres no actual shell missing, but I'm not sure applying straight nail varnish or crazy glue is safe. Which method seems the best to use in this case?

IMG_20210623_152507325.jpgIMG_20210623_152539864.jpg

IzabelB

I don’t know anything about using chemicals for that purpose but I can tell you it doesn’t sound like a good idea.
My mystery snail had a similar sized crack on the front of her shell and it healed completely within a month. Before resorting to chemicals I would just see if it will heal on its own with clean water and extra calcium. I’m guessing it will.

Upvote 0

Salem

I wouldn't personally advise trying to fix the crack when you can avoid it. It's a thin enough break that it should be able to heal on its own. If you're worried about it you can move them into their own temporary hospital tank- that way you can make sure the water is extra clean.
If you feel the need to try and fix it though I would personally go for superglue as it is often used in tanks and is known to be water safe provided you use the right kind (cyanoacrylate). I'd maybe put a small piece of eggshell over the crack and glue over/around it to try and avoid getting glue inside the shell itself.

Upvote 0

armstronct

I don’t know anything about using chemicals for that purpose but I can tell you it doesn’t sound like a good idea.
My mystery snail had a similar sized crack on the front of her shell and it healed completely within a month. Before resorting to chemicals I would just see if it will heal on its own with clean water and extra calcium. I’m guessing it will.
from what I've researched, it seems the snails are able to repair cracks along the top of the shell because they can reach
I wouldn't personally advise trying to fix the crack when you can avoid it. It's a thin enough break that it should be able to heal on its own. If you're worried about it you can move them into their own temporary hospital tank- that way you can make sure the water is extra clean.
If you feel the need to try and fix it though I would personally go for superglue as it is often used in tanks and is known to be water safe provided you use the right kind (cyanoacrylate). I'd maybe put a small piece of eggshell over the crack and glue over/around it to try and avoid getting glue inside the shell itself.
that seems reasonable enough. for now I'll just try to make sure it has plenty of calcium give it a few weeks to see if its improving or not.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom