Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Cracking Sounds Heard Below 125 Gallon Tank On Second Floor Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Maxwell Lehrich, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Maxwell LehrichValued MemberMember

I have a 125 gallon aquarium on a second floor right above the garage. All my walls are load bearing walls so they should support the weight. Also, the tank is currently half full with my turtles untill their new home is ready.

2. danhutchinsWell Known MemberMember

Walls are load bearing but I don't think the floor is. Water weighs 8lbs/gallon. That's a lot of weight on a second floor especially since the tank itself is a few hundred lbs. I would recommend moving it a lower level if possible, if not I would recommend reinforcing the floor.

3. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

So, describe your problem? Cracking sounds? Did you inspect the tank stand and supporting wood below the tank stand in the garage? If you think the floor or stand are failing, those are the first, most logical things to do.

4. coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

Is the floor meant to be living space or storage space ?
    Single bay garage or double ?

5. danhutchinsWell Known MemberMember

You are looking at approximately 1300lbs not including the decorations. Not recommended for normal floors, they must be reinforced.

6. aae0130Well Known MemberMember

If you have the space in the garage under where the tank is you could put a beam with some posts or build a closet under it.

7. Maxwell LehrichValued MemberMember

I appreciate your help. Funny enough, o figured out that it was my heater since it makes a clicking sound when it turn on or off

Yes I did. We had a structural engineer take a look and at the floor joists, and beams, and walls. He said it should be fine. But funny enough, I just figured out that it was my heater's relay when it turns off or on

Meant to be a living space. Single bay

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2019
  8. danhutchinsWell Known MemberMember

Thank goodness, would have been a bad day if the tank went through the floor.

9. Maxwell LehrichValued MemberMember

I 100% agree. Our structural engineer inspected, and said it's perfectly fine to carry the load. However I sometimes have nightmares about the floor giving way. Same with my parents. They are having support beams installed under my floor

Exactly what my parents have planned. I will be able to think straight after that, and fill my tank up all the way

10. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

That's a relief!:;bananared

11. Maxwell LehrichValued MemberMember

It would be devastating, load bearing wall next to the tank would be destroyed, that would make my parents room collapse

For sure! It may be worth the $100 to replace my heaters with ones that don't give me a heart attack

12. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Yep! Heart attacks go for about $500,000. Much cheaper to replace the heater, lol!