Cracked Tank Help 

Ptrkrsh

Reaction score
FB_IMG_1565844537499.jpg
FB_IMG_1565844544238.jpg
Woke up this morning to find a 3 foot long half moon shaped crack in the bottom of the front panel of my 60 gallon marineland aquarium. Unfortunately we lost almost all of our stock as the tank had drained all the way down to the substrate and the part below the crack had pushed forward and let almost all the fish fall out onto the carpet. Out of 30 fish only 4 survived. Now I've replaced the tank with a 55 gallon breeder. The broken tank was fully cycled and handled its bio load without a hitch. Both HOB filters were still full and kept their filter media wet and the substrate never dried out. Am I starting a brand new cycle or will the leftover bacteria in the filters and substrate that I transferred to the new tank keep things humming along?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow that sucks!! Yes your cycle should still be alive. Just keep the media wet and add it to the new tank. Some of your bacteria may have died off but most is still there. But with only 4 of 30 fish it will slowly die off because there’s just not enough food. So re add your new fish slowly so the bacteria can grow with the new fish.

Ptrkrsh

Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
Wow that sucks!! Yes your cycle should still be alive. Just keep the media wet and add it to the new tank. Some of your bacteria may have died off but most is still there. But with only 4 of 30 fish it will slowly die off because there’s just not enough food. So re add your new fish slowly so the bacteria can grow with the new fish.
So 5 or 6 new fish once a week or so to let the tank adjust to the new bio load?

kmbeck

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Add whatever you want. If you do it quickly, your filter will be able to keep up. The longer you wait, the fewer fish you can add at one time.

Ptrkrsh

Reaction score
Sounds reasonable. I'll head to the LFS tomorrow morning and do a decent restock, probably about half of what we lost then I'll gradually bring it up to capacity. Probably won't have a solid bio filter very long with just a common pleco, one blue acara one Cory and one blue gourami left in the tank.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with kmbeck if the filter has been wet the whole time. But would still go the few fish a week route just to be safe.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would treat it as a new tank. Add all the fish at once. Just don’t add them all at once just a few at a time, wait 20 mins add next batch.

How did the tank crack?

Allegra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My worst nightmare!!! Sorry about your stock.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ptrkrsh said:
So 5 or 6 new fish once a week or so to let the tank adjust to the new bio load?
No. Your filter and media will handle the same bioload it was used to managing. It stayed wet and wasn't out of operation long. Bacteria is hardier than people give credit. kmbeck was correct that you can stock now at the current level but the longer you wait the less it can manage. Bacteria colonies grow or diminish based on the environment.

If I were in your situation I'd restock the 55 gallon as desired to capacity and treat the whole tank like a QT tank. I'd do it all now, not staggered over months in several QT tanks. Perhaps I'm just lazy and abhor the idea of maintaining multiple tanks. But your tank's cycled and can handle a full bioload right now. I'd fully stock and hit the tank with basic meds.I

Edited to add: I'm VERY sorry for your loss of fish. A catastrophic tank failure is my worst nightmare with my tanks.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Let me be the first to say...Welcome to FishLore! I hope you find the site enjoyable.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry to hear this. What has your detective work led to for the cause of the crack?

TetraKing101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Cichlidude said:
Sorry to hear this. What has your detective work led to for the cause of the crack?
Yes I would like to know

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ptrkrsh said:
the leftover bacteria in the filters and substrate that I transferred to the new tank keep things humming along?
sorry to hear. that sucks big time.

most of your cycle is in the filters, and some in the substrate. you should be able to restock to about 90-95% of your previous stocking.

Ptrkrsh

Reaction score
Spent a good chunk of the night looking over the old marineland tank and stand to see if I could track down the cause. Was literally stumped until I sat down on the old stand and noticed it felt like it moved under my weight. (Roughly 250lbs) used one of my 6 ft bubble levels to check if it was perfectly flat and sure enough when a moderate load was applied to the stand it bowed ever so slightly. At full capacity that 60 gallon tank weighs just at 500 lbs so I'm sure the bend was more pronounced under its weight. Regardless it's pretty safe to bet the bowing stressed the panels on the tank until a crack formed. Water weight and pressure just sealed the deal. I sincerely hope I never have to deal with that kind of issue again. The clean up was a nightmare but the loss of almost an entire tanks worth of stock was simply heartbreaking.

Fashooga said:
I would treat it as a new tank. Add all the fish at once. Just don’t add them all at once just a few at a time, wait 20 mins add next batch.

How did the tank crack?
Looks like the cheap marineland stand it was on slightly bowed, just enough to stress the panels and allow them to crack.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ptrkrsh said:
Looks like the cheap marineland stand it was on slightly bowed, just enough to stress the panels and allow them to crack.
Sounds like a letter and pictures to Marineland letting them know how you feel about their products.

Jack B Nimble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a tank in living go on me a few years ago. I discovered it was a small bouncing trampoline a ways from it. The vibration on the floor joist killed it. I look at my tank now still no water flow and have my wife and kid walk about for vibration waves on surface.I worry if many go like that when alot of weight on say 4 joists.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom