Cracked tank!

1. No Fishing Member Member

So I just noticed a small crack in my tank and I'm really concerned. I have included pictures. It's not a big crack but it's a crack nonetheless. I can only feel the crack from the outside which I think is good.

1. Is there any danger of the tank failing and flooding my living room?
    2. Is there anything I can do to prevent it?
    3. Should I just buy a new one?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Is it only on the outside? If it's just a scratch, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it's an actual crack, I'd get a new tank as soon as possible.

3. No Fishing Member Member

How do I know the difference? I can't tell, it looks like it starts from the very top under the trim. If that's the case then it can't be a scratch right?

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you feel it on both sides of the tank?

5. No Fishing Member Member

No only 1, on the outside. Last night I was messing with the placement of my canister valves in that area too

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Probably a scratch. Watch it to make sure it doesn't get worse or go through the glass and crack it. I don't think it looks that bad, but it's also hard to tell in a photo.

7. No Fishing Member Member

I marked it with a dry erase. If it gets bigger I will go get a new tank.
    Thanks for the information. I thought it was a scratch but in my 3 years of owning aquariums I've never had one break. Was getting worried

8. No Fishing Member Member

Here's the best picture I could get. It's smooth and I can't feel it inside. I can feel a rough line outside. But you can see the line starts from the very top of the glass which means it couldn't of scratched it outside that high. [​IMG]

9. Zack0220 Initiate Member

Looks fixable to me there are tons of diy videos on YouTube on how to fix cracks

10. No Fishing Member Member

I don't really want an ugly pane of glass glued on the back of it though.

11. Zack0220 Initiate Member

Fair enough, fix it and sell it to help recoup costs!

12. No Fishing Member Member

Everything I've been reading says if you have a crack on a side panel you should replace the pane or tank? Because the force of a tank pushes outwards.

13. Zack0220 Initiate Member

A good repair should be okay, you would be surprised how much these tanks can handle, you could also market it as a terrarium rather that tank, still would help with some money

14. No Fishing Member Member

So it turns out I'm an idiot and it was a dangle of Silicone... my buddies at the LFS as soon as I showed them told me. Said that if glass was going to crack it wasn't going to curl at the end it would crack all the way through. They gave me a razorblade and sent me on my way haha. Thanks for the advice as always though.

Ps I can't believe I owned that tank for 3 years and never noticed..