Cracked old tank

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by GBR.Moorrreeee, Apr 12, 2010.

1. GBR.MoorrreeeeValued MemberMember

Hello,
    It appears i have MTS. I just wanted to know if there's any way that i could fix my old 5.5 gallon tank that we used for an African Clawed frog, because it has cracks down the back. I have been using duct tape to seal it up and am using it as a hospital tank (P.S. duct tape fixes EVERYTHING). Is there any way i could more permanetly fix it?? I think i might use it as a Bumble Bee Goby tank.

2. ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

Not sure that would be a great idea. A 5 gal tank costs like $20 anyway, just buy a new one. A leaking tank is a nightmare.

3. navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

A 10 gal is $13 @ walmart.

4. GBR.MoorrreeeeValued MemberMember

Thanks. It doesn't leak i'm just looking for a better solution. The reason i don't go by one is because myk parents are against a new tank (im still working on my 46) so i have the excuse that im not setting up a new one but starting an old one.

5. navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

If is a regular rectangular tank remove all the old silicone and clean it very good and re-sealed again with aquarium silicone or 100% silicone.

6. GBR.MoorrreeeeValued MemberMember

How do you fix the crack, its in the middle of the back panel??

7. ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

Like I said, I don't think there is a reliable way short of replacing the pane of glass. It may not leak now, but if it gives out you will have a MESS on your hands.

8. cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

Just chuck the tank if you plan to use it as a ful aquarium. You're just playing with fire by trying to use the tank.

9. GBR.MoorrreeeeValued MemberMember

Thanks.