Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Cracked Mystery Snail Shell? Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Gourami36, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

I have seen a few videos of putting bandaids on shells with pieces of other shells with nail polish.

3. Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

What are the other shells?

4. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

The best bet would be an old snail shell if you have it. Next would probably be something like a sea shell that's been in a tank to soak out the salt. I bet you could even use fake nails since there non toxic incase people chew them.

5. Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

Could I use something like a piece of a plastic bag and and glue it with super glue?

6. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

A piece of food safe plastic like a butter bowl might work but not a plastic bag. Super glue might work to since its inert once it dries. If its just a small crack it should heal on its own.

7. snailyfriendsValued MemberMember

a piece of boiled egg shell without membrane works as well. i've heard of all kinds of things, egg shell just seems most convenient and easiest to fit. what you use as an adhesive, make sure not to get it on the soft parts of the snail.

8. HairyCatFish69Valued MemberMember

Oh lord, I'm cringing at these suggestions... Leave it alone, add some calcium supplements either in food form or directly to the water and It should heal on its own..
    I found one of my mystery snail's had climbed out of the tank and fell behind the stand a distance of a few feet. It was back there for at least 1 or 2 days before I accidentally found it. The snail was sealed shut and the entire edge of the shell broke off from the fall. Thought for sure it was dead or would die. I placed it back in the tank and observed it. In less than 2 weeks the piece that broke off grew back and filled in entirely. The most amazing thing I've ever witnessed from these guy's.
    The first picture is of the severe break it obtained in October and the other photo is the snail today.. 20181016_192444.jpg15461023162345263665961312690609.jpg

9. LittleBlueGuppyWell Known MemberMember

Don't do anything to its shell, let nature do its thing, it will heal. Just add calcium supplementation to help it build back its shell.