Cracked bottom pane of glass, 150 gallon

1. Kaa Initiate Member

I bought a 150 gallon long tank for a steal, from what I've seen I'm assuming it's a very rare tank (60"x24"x24") while transporting it to my house the bottom sheet cracked from front to back, the glass is annealed but I was wondering if I replace the 3/4 inch thick sheet of annealed glass with 1/2 inch tempered glass will that be fine? It also has three holes drilled on one side so I can run a freshwater sump. Also, while removing the bottom trim to remove the broken glass, the trim came off in four sections (one for each side of glass) is that normal for larger tanks? I was very careful while removing it so I didn't break it but that's just how it came off, the bottom trine frame also didn't have any cross bracing, is that normal as well? There was never any to begin with and no signs it used to have one that was broken off. Any help or advice is highly appreciated!!! Upgrading from a 75 gallon to this 150!

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    That's a very large tank with what I suspect could be a big problem fixing it, hope someone can come up with some solutions for you today

3. Zed Initiate Member

Hey Kaa,
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune. If you can get a 1/2" thick tempered glass the same size as the original, it should be fine, tempered glass is 3-4 times stronger than annealed glass, which fractures more easily under transformed stresses. The 1/4" downgrade shouldn't be a problem. The trim being in four pieces also isn't a problem, just make sure you use waterproof silicon and allow a minimum of 36 hours to dry, I would wait 48. As for the cross bracing, it isn't always required; thinner acrylic necessitates cross bracing to help with the stress buildups, but a thick enough tank doesn't need it from a structural perspective. Also, they become more critically needed in vertical tanks. Anyways, good luck to you, and I hope everything works out for you.

4. Big Red Well Known Member Member

Glasscages.com will send you out a sheet. Replace it. And youll be fine my 150 has half inch glass all the way around. Make sure to silcone edge to face first let it dry and then silicone corners to seal. Do not skimp on waiting for it to cure. This is alot of water to be impatient with. Good luck. Take your time.

5. Zed Initiate Member

6. Big Red Well Known Member Member

Haha thanks its the truth. I have a problem im waiting for an intervention one day.