cracked aquarium

ponitboss

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Happy new year to all. I have two cracked aquariums both are 3ft long x 15inches width x 12inches height they are crack on the bottom not very big cracks. I was wonder if i can patch them and whats the best way to do so? I'll add pics of the tanks

Attachments

cichlidman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i don't think i would use a tank with a crack on the bottom. Im sure it could be rigged but i wouldnt know how =( you could always replace the glass that is cracked

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with cichlidman, I wouldn't use a cracked tank, I would recommend replacing any broken section in its entirety.

Tonia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Figuring the weight of the water, and then any tank decorations or substrate, just fixing a crack is likely to not work. I'd either replace the glass entirely or use the tank for alternative purposes.

It's too risky that even with a repair, you're going to have leaks or eventually the repair will blow out and you'll have the entire tank on the floor.

I hope all goes well with your tanks

Malcolm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi there

Repairing them would be fine by using an internal glass patch of at least 1/4in or 6mm thick tempered glass, make the patch double the length and double the width of the crack, with a sharp blade remove the corner fillet from the existing seals to allow the patch to butt fully against the corner, Clean the entire area completely using acetone then using aquarium safe silicon lay a good layer (^4mm thick) completely across the patch (like the filling in a sandwich)
Press the new patch over the crack using firm but steady pressure making sure the patch is tight into the corners, Keep pressing until as much of the silicon is expelled as possible from the glass/silicon/glass sandwich.
Once this is done create new corner fillets using more silicon if needed, including fillets around the edges of the glass patch (watch your fingers, glass edges are sharp)
Leave for 24hrs at least to fully cure and then fill and continue as if it had never been there.

I have repaired a 4x2x2 saltwater aquarium and a 5x1.5x2 using this technique as well as covering unwanted drilled holes when converting from a drilled for sump SW system to a stand alone FW tank.

Just make sure to clean everything with acetone or the silicon will not get as good a grip as it should.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom