Crack Outer Corner Or Tank 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by matt0404, May 30, 2019.

1. matt0404New MemberMember

Well I’ve just got my first 10 gallon tank about 3 days ago and it’s been setup sine and it seems to have a tiny chip in it the outer part of the tank in the corner where the glass connects was just wondering if it was nothing to wet about or if I’d possibly have to apply something to it ?

Image1559256621.851610.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2019
  2. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

Post a picture

Trouble is any chip can lead to it cracking at any time, theres no fix for it, there looks to be two smaller ones above it as well

Looking at it closer and personally it's not one I'd trust, others may think differently we'll see

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2019
  3. matt0404New MemberMember

That’s zoomed a lot but if it cracks it’s not gonna bust open ? Or will I have time to transfer everything

4. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

They are tempered glass so it should start to crack from the damaged part , I have seen a lot worse and wondered why they are still together. It may also start to weep from that part if it does its time to change

5. matt0404New MemberMember

Image1559257317.441992.jpg a photo from the side of the tank put my finger up to it for size reference thinking about it looks like all that’s holding it is the inside putty what I’m thinking is it would be better (safer) to put some kind of putty on the outside of the tank cause it is a an open chip with a few tiny shards of loose glass

6. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Typically only the bottoms are tempered glass. If they were the pain would of just imploded into a bunch of little pieces. Actually looks pretty minor to me.

7. matt0404New MemberMember

Image1559257505.248414.jpg

Okay thank @david1978 @richie.p just don’t know a lot about tanks so had to get ppls feedback who have knowledge and experience !!

8. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

I've seen s lot worse that last pic as Dave says its minor

9. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Of you just bought it i would return it for a new one. Why worry about it.

10. sfsammWell Known MemberMember

In a 10 gallon I would not worry too much, in something like a 50-90 I'd seriously consider the risks and over that would be a not a chance. But for a 10-20 gallon tank that really won't be something to be too concerned about.

11. matt0404New MemberMember

Well it wasn’t actually like that when I got it I don’t think so I couldn’t really take it back but thank you for the feedback !

12. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

I have 55's that look much worse. If the chunks don't go down to the silicone I don't worry. And yes I do know what 75 gallons of water on the floor looks like.

13. matt0404New MemberMember

Wdym go down to the silicone

14. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

looks like surface chips on the edge, doesn't look like it'll affect the structural integrity.