Crack In Aquarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by sheehanje, Apr 20, 2017.

1. sheehanjeValued MemberMember

I have what I think is a crack in my 75 gallon tank on the front panel. It may be a scratch - but it's on the inside - and I can feel it with my finger. It's not particularly deep - about 2 inches long and it jags a little at one point. This area of the house has a lot of foot traffic, and kid traffic - which worries me.

Should this be addressed immediately or is it something I can monitor? I'm about 70% stocked in this tank. I have a 44 gallon that would be about 140% stocked according to aqadvisor if I moved every thing from the 75 to it.

Unfortunately funds are very low right now thanks to a bunch of unexpected dental work for my 5 year old. So my options are trying to fix it (think I use silicone for that?), or rehoming some of my fish and moving my stock to the 44 until my finances are better in 6 - 8 months.

2. Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Mark both sides of the scratch with a sharpie. Monitor for a few days to see if it travels . Don't worry windex takes it right off. If you have to over stock the other tank best advise I can give is over filter it. Use the filter from the 75. Hopefully that works for a time.

3. sheehanjeValued MemberMember

I have 2 fluval 306's on the 75 - so I can definitely over filter the 44 pentagon. It's just fitting both filters on the 44 may prove challenging.

4. KasshanWell Known MemberMember

If it was a crack it would spread and bulge in the center of the glass which doesn't sound likely, if it gna Crack then it will be at weak point not in the middle. A Crack in the middle is animmediate fail. So based on the fact that you're not panicking about a busted tank, my best logical guess is that it is a scratch

5. Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

The only other thing is are all your fish compatible? As far as temperature aggression?

6. sheehanjeValued MemberMember

For the most part - the only ones I worry about is my 2 Angelfish - they are still juveniles and I have a few oto's in the tank.

Other stock: 1 Apisto Borrelli, 7 Emerald Green Cory, 1 Clown Pleco, 3 Golden Zebra Danios, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 1 apple snail - 3 nerite snails, and a dwarf mexican crayfish. If I had to move them to the 44, the angels would probably get advertised and moved to a new home.

7. Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Hopefully its just a scratch and everything will be ok.

8. sheehanjeValued MemberMember

Hope so - after a lot of trials and tribulations - this tank is running perfect right now.

9. AsaflameValued MemberMember

We
    look up dustins fish tanks ghetto fish tank it'll tell you how to repair but a few tote bins and put your fish in buy a large one and put your air hose on it

10. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

You can repair it very easily and cheaply though it would be unsightly and you'd probably want to turn the tank around so the crack is in the back.

Or.. petco is currently running the dollar per gallon sale until the end of the month..some have 75g the ones that don't offer them 50% off

11. Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Agree if its just a scratch don't worry about it. Its unsightly like previously stated you can just turn the tank around.

12. sheehanjeValued MemberMember

I could just get the 44 running while doing a repair if it comes to that. Going to keep a close eye on it the next few weeks and if I notice it getting worse I will go that route.

13. CruiseValued MemberMember

I have a foam broccoli box as an temporary emergency fish tank. They have saved me a few times over the years.
    Whether you call it expanded polystyrene foam, we call it "Styrofoam" here in Australia.
    IMG_0402_zpstcajyjuf.jpg

14. sheehanjeValued MemberMember

I just did a water change and it dawned on me that maybe I scratched it with the nozzle on my hose. I use an external pump to get water out then RODI water back in. I really hope it's just superficial. I caught myself window shopping acrylic tanks on Google. One of these days.

So, after mulling all this over - I think it's just a scratch - but I'm being proactive. I've been wanting to start up the 44 gallon pentagon tank again. My wife will kill me, but I ordered an aquaclear 70 HOB filter and some sand substrate. I had some amazon points - so everything came to under $20. I'm moving one of my fluval 306's to the 44, and putting the aquaclear in it's place on the 75. That should provide a quick startup of the 44. I will also fill half the 44 with water from the 75.

I'm thinking of moving my 2 angels, emerald green cory's, dwarf crayfish and dwarf gourami to the 44. Hopefully the 75 is ok - and if it doesn't get any worse in a month, I'm seriously thinking of ordering some more Apisto Borrelli for the 75 so I can possibly breed them - that was my original goal with the 75 but my female didn't make it. Right now it has 1 male in it.

This hobby has made me insane.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  15. Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

I wouldn't use water from the 75. Most of the BB lives in the filter. The filter alone should give you an instant cycle.

16. sheehanjeValued MemberMember

I wanted to use some of the water to make sure the water parameters are as close as possible. That way I don't have to do a slow acclimation.

17. YvesValued MemberMember

In an emergency I have used coolers, or those large containers you get from Wal-Mart, throw in a sponge filter and you are good to go.

18. sheehanjeValued MemberMember

Also - I took your advice and marked the tank with a sharpie. It had a side effect of giving me good depth perception of how deep the scratch is - seems very superficial to me.

19. Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Great news. WOOHOO

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice