Crabs and Crayfish and Clams (Oh, my...)

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by Crabbyj, Apr 19, 2006.

1. CrabbyjNew MemberMember

Hehe, just had to do that.

I've been reading up a lot about tanks for kids. They are the reason I got myself into this business of aquarium keeping. I promised them if they got good report cards they could have a fish tank. I did not know what I was getting into.

A lot of sites say clams, crayfish, snails and crabs (all freshwater) are really enjoyable for kids. I kind of ran this by my kids and they really thought it would be coold to have a tank with as many different things as we could, including fish.

My problems is that I'm not too sure if these other creatures are compatible with any fish. And if they are what fish would be safe in the tank with them? I couldn't find a lot of information about it and thought someone here could give me some insight.

I really think it would be neat for them to be exposed to different creatures and be able to observe thier habits too.

What does everyone think?

2. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

The clams might be okay, but the crabs and crayfish are probably out. If you want the crabs and crayfish in a tank with fish, stock it with fish that won't break your heart if they disappear. I know for at least the crayfish, if they can catch them, they will eat them. :eek:

3. CrabbyjNew MemberMember

Eeeek! I was afraid of that.

I guess it would be best to put something like crayfish and crabs in a tank by themselves. Or would they fight each other too?

4. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

I'm not sure about that. You will have to do some research. I think there are sites specific to both crabs and crayfish online. Crayfish will shred live plants also, so keep that in mind when planning your tank.

5. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Have you thought about shrimp? Ghost Shrimp are really cool. More info if you want it. :)

6. SkadunkadunkValued MemberMember

I would rather do shrimp in the tank with some guppies, goldfish, or tetras.

7. CrabbyjNew MemberMember

I did think about it, but I remember reading some larger fish (I forget what kind now) would eat them. I'll have to check again before I get fish and see what they can go in the tank with. :)

I was thinking dwarf or sparkling gouramis, balloon mollies, small tetras, cherry barbs, and a small loach or catfish. If I do add any other interesting creatures something on list would have to go since my tank would be full. I had a post about these fish being together in another thread. I can go either way on the gouramis or molllies. But I definately want a school of small tetras and some cherry barbs.

Skunk, I didn't realize goldfish can go in a heated tank? Interesting.

8. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Goldfish can't go in a heated tank--the Ghost Shrimp can go into a unheated tank. ;)
    Large fish will eat Ghosties--I've read not to keep them with anything over 3 inches (although someone will probably argue with that ::)), with the exception of catfish of course, and definately don't put one with a Betta. Small tetras and Cherry Barbs should be fine with them. The Mollies should be too. Not sure about a gourami...
    How big is your tank?

9. CrabbyjNew MemberMember

All the fish I want are under 3 inches. I'm making sure nothing will be larger than that since my tank is a 20 long. My daughter really wanted cherry barbs after looking at them online, but we went to Walmart today and she saw some guppies and that changed her mind. I don't know why, but I have no interest in bettas.

I guess I could try and see what happens. I doubt the fish under 3 inches would eat them. Even the dwarf gouramis are supposed to be peaceful community fish. I know some of the larger ones are chasers.

I guess it's a good thing my tank is taking a long time to cycle, all the time it takes to figure out and agree on what's going in the tank is sure taking forever...,lol!

10. lyndatuValued MemberMember

Oh yes, Ghost shrimp are very interesting and easy to take care of, but since they are mainly used as fish bait, no big fish could resist the tenderness of a ghost shrimp's flesh!

If you have friendly fish or community fish, then the ghost shrimp can live in your aquarium!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice