Crabs Always Hiding Even After Months In A Good Setup Help

Discussion in 'Hermit Crabs' started by Thesaddestpanda, May 25, 2018.

1. ThesaddestpandaNew MemberMember

I have had crabs for six months now and they have never been active. I have always assumed it was because my setup was not up to par. I started with three small crabs in a ten gallon with no heat, poor humidity, and no pools. I have since upgraded to five small crabs in a 29 gallon with the works. 6 inches of substrate which is a 1:5 mix of eco earth and play-sand. Two deep bubbler pools with fresh and salt water, proper lights, heat lamps, chia sprouts, a large heat pad, moss pits, large pieces of mopani wood for climbing, lots of shells; basically all the things suggested for happy crabs. Humidity ranges from 70-80% and temperature is a stable 78 F. It has been two months since I got the new setup and the two new crabs, and my crabs are less active than they were before. The only thing I can thing of that may be messing with them is the food dish which has some rust on it, it is some sort of stone. I really need some help here because I love my crabs and I want to be able to see them and be sure they are happy. (Note, my hydrometer is broken in this picture and I have since replaced it) 20180523_145905.jpg20180523_145913.jpg

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

What kind of lights do you have?

3. wodesorel

wodesorelWell Known MemberMember

Are they molting? Usually when a crab hits good conditions, the first thing they do is dig underground and molt. It can last for two to four months, sometimes even longer than that, and they do not surface the entire time.

4. OP
    OP
    T

ThesaddestpandaNew MemberMember

I have two 25w red heat lamps but only keep one on, the other only comes on in winter. The other is an All living things deep dome lamp with a UV bulb

5. OP
    OP
    T

ThesaddestpandaNew MemberMember

I had one crab come up two weeks ago and has since hidden itself again, and I have another that just hangs out in the back above ground. one is molting for sure and the other two finished molting about four months ago. I thought crabs only molted every year to year and a half?

6. wodesorel

wodesorelWell Known MemberMember

Nope! Small crabs go once every month or two, medium crabs every three to six months, large crabs every six months to a year. Only the huge old dudes can wait for a year to a year and a half.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice