Crab + Styrofoam island

1. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Crab + Styrofoam island *pictures update*

I would like to make a floating island for my crab. I'm thinking of a Styrofoam disc with short silk or plastic plants on top and a few underneath.

But...
    1) I'm concerned my crab will pick at and eat the Styrofoam. :(
    2) Would it help to coat the Styrofoam in some kind of sealant?
    3) If so, what do you recommend I use to seal it?
    4) Would it be better to suction cup driftwood to the back instead? :-\ I just think the island would give him more land room.

:;thx! Sorry if these are dumb questions. I'm not that handy.

2. Betafish305ca Member Member

good questions... i don't know the answers myself for all of them.... but for the sealent, i know people recommend silicone sealent for things, because of its safety..... i don't think i'd cover the bottom and side of the disk, to keep its boency....

the only concern is the crab falling into the water... is this floating island in a fish tank? i'd just be concerned with how the crab would get back to the top

3. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

The crab I'm considering (fiddler or RCC or patriot) are semi-aquatic. They enjoy being underwater and scuttling around and they can swim 6" upwards, but they must have land, too.

So I'm trying to give mine the best of both worlds. I'm going to anchor the floating island, so my crab can climb up whenever he wants. :)

Great point you brought up! So many times, we think crabs are fully aquatic because they're sold that way in stores. Poor things quickly die because of this.

4. ryno1974 Initiate Member

You could get a turtle dock by Zoo Med. They are exactly what you are talking about. They are designed for aquatic turtles that need to bask periodically. They are basically Styrofoam on a a sliding rail that suctions to the side of the tank. The dock floats up and down with the water level. I have one for my RES turtle and it works great.

The other thing you could use is cork bark. It is buoyant, and is also used for the same application. You should be able to get it at your local fish store, or you can get some good deal off ebay.

Hope it helps!

5. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Hey ryno! :)

That cork bark is a good idea. We have some of that in my craft stuff. Hmmm, but then I come to the same concern about my crab picking off pieces and either shredding his island and making a mess or eating it and getting sick. :-\

Maybe I should just get a turtle dock that you mentioned and not risk it.

Thanks ryno - you gave me something to think about that might be the better option. :)

6. aquatic mouse Well Known Member Member

At work, ours come with pieces of Styrofoam so that they can climb on it during shipment.

Be careful with airstone tubing though. We've had them climb out using it and dry out & die above the tank before anyone notices.

7. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Okay, great. :)

I think I will do the Styrofoam island and I'll just keep an eye on it and be prepared to remove it if it looks like he's eating it or something. Now I know of some really good plan B options!

Thanks so much everyone! It's kinda scary to get a new type of pet because I don't want to screw up something.

:;bananasplit This means I can go pick out my crab in just a couple days! *sigh* Now I'm going to have to try to focus on studies and not making a crab island. lol

8. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Hello.

I made my islands. :) I used silicone to secure plastic plants under the Styrofoam; this way my crab can climb up the plants (or climb up his log) to get to dry land. I also added silicone along the edges of the island so my crab wouldn't pick at it and eat it - hopefully.

I decided not to add any plants to the top of the island because I didn't want him tripping all the time. He's got four islands bunched together, so lots of room to walk around and dry out.

The decor is pretty sparse. I have no idea what crabs like for their decor. ???

*The mollies are keeping it cycled atm. They'll go back in the 55g once I get my crab. So excited! :happy0064:

If anything looks potentially problematic, please let me know! Thanks!

Attached Files:

• Crab + Styrofoam island
      011.JPG
      File size:
      414.8 KB
      Views:
    • Crab + Styrofoam island
      013.JPG
      File size:
      318.5 KB
      Views:
  9. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Hi, that looks great :)
    From what I've seen at the fish store I go to, the crabs they keep that are semi-aquatic have sand and caves on their land as they like to burrow and hide in the dark, however sand may be hard to keep on that island.
    Keep us posted :)

10. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

OH thanks platy ben. :) I'll see if I can take an island out and maybe silicone some kind of cave thing on one of them. :)

11. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Also if RCC= Red Clawed Crab, i've read that these guys like hanging out on driftwood :)

12. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:;hf Cool - thanks! I just watched a video where they were shredding some driftwood and making a total mess - it was cute. :D My lfs carries some great pieces. I'll def. pick some out.

13. platy ben Well Known Member Member

It may be cute but it could lead to messy water aswel :D, but im sure it would be worth it for your little clawed friends :)

14. aquatic mouse Well Known Member Member

Looooooooove it! :party0049: You are going to have a VERY happy crab & it looks GREAT!

15. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:;hug2 thanks aquatic mouse!

16. crazy4fish_123 Member Member

looks great...goob job