Crab Stocking?

1. a

angewp4 Initiate Member

Can I treat micro crabs like shrimp when stocking? From what I understand they are both very low bioload/waste producing species. The specific crab I am looking at is the Freshwater Pom Pom Crab (Ptychognathus Barbatus).
    I have a 10 gallon, and am planning to put in 6 corydoras pygmaeus and 6 blue emperor tetras. I was wondering if I can fit 2 or more (if any) of these crabs?
    Also, is my fish stocking accurate? Based on what I have read it should be ok and aqadvisor says it puts me at 88% with 115% filter capacity - I have a 20 gallon breeder tank sponge filter.
    Any help is welcomed. Thanks,
    Ang

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would avoid using Aqadvisor - it's not accurate.

Is there any way you can upgrade to a 20 gal long? Both species you have chosen should be in a larger tank, and cories especially should be in a larger group. You can use the same sponge filter in the bigger tank!

A few members have had issues with blue emperors and intraspecific (within the species) aggression. A larger tank would be better in giving each individual their own space.

Watch out to make sure the pom pom crabs aren't outcompeted for food. I would think 3 would be fine in a 20 gal, but you'll need to make sure they're fed and not hunted by the tetras.