Crab identification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleT

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When cleaning out my converted tank a few weeks back I spotted this funny little crab.

I had taken the liverock out in order to catch a pair of nasty humbug damsels that I was returning to the lfs.

As I checked the rock and put it back, I removed a couple of bristleworms and nasty blue/black crab with red eyes that went in the sump.

That's when I spotted this tiny grey crab.

It's body was about the size of a 5p coin (1cm diameter). It had the appearance of a sally lightfoot but the colouring was more grey with blue bands.

Has anyone got an idea what it is? (or was depending on whether it has been eaten by my trigger who has had his nose stuck in that same piece of rock on a number of occassions).

OP
L

LittleT

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry I wasn't able to snap a pic as my camera was in another room at the time and it was hiding in the rock once I put it back in.

I haven't seen it since and was just asking out of curiousity and am not really worried as I expect that Trig has probably eaten it by now as he's had his nose wedged in the rock on more than one occasion since.

I have been unable to find an image that is anything like it on the net. The closest I can find is the Sally lightfoot for the shape and pattern, and the Pompom maybe.

Attachments

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
wow will be hard to tell without the pic

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe an emerald crab? They sometimes have a greyish color, and I have had them come in on a rock once.

29.jpg

charzar-g

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Perhaps a porecelain crab? They're a light grayish colour the their markings can often be bluish.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
emerald is a definite possibility, i agree that they do fade to gray sometimes

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The emerald and sally lite foot have such a different shape though.

Could it have been a Crinoid Squat Lobster. They've been known to hitch hike on LR and they vary in color. They could kind of look like a sally lite foot.

OP
L

LittleT

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry the emerald and porcelain both have fat legs and big pincers. As for it being a lobster I would have to disagree as this body was round and not pointy like the squat.

This piece of rock has been in the tank for over 18 months and I was suprised to find the nasty crab as it was.

I really would have sworn it was a sally apart from the colouring - Does any one know if juvenile sallies are grey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 66 67.3%

Top Bottom