Crab Id Please...

Discussion in 'Saltwater Crabs' started by Danny___13, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Danny___13

Danny___13New MemberMember

79A198B3-6EE9-4436-96DB-F0C7F58D2241.png Yo!!
    so started my tank off 4 days ago an this crab has come along with the live rock I bought from my local fish stockist an these aiptasia have started to bloom should I get rid of the crab an the aiptasia as I’ve heard an read if this is a gorilla crab and aiptasia are goin to be problems to a reef tank which I’m aiming to build see both on the attached picture...
    Advice please?? thank you in advance!!

2. ValerieAdams

ValerieAdamsFishlore VIPMember

3. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Yo Danny! Congrats on the saltwater build.:D

Yes, you should absolutely get rid of aiptasia, unless your goal is a pest tank.;) But, you want a reef tank! :) Aiptasia can spread like wildfire and can hurt and/or kill corals, so, they are the bane of a reefkeepers existence. Trust me, I've been there. Let me know if you'd like to hear the long story there, okay?

As for the crab, well, sorry bud, can't help you there. I'm not a fan of crabs in general, and if I was unsure of the species, I would get rid of it too. Many types of crabs will eat corals, so... an unknown species would be unwelcome in my tank. If you can, try to identify it. Could be it's a mithrax crab, which many reefers are glad to have because they'll eat algae. The emerald crab is a mithrax, and while it will eat algae, it's still best to feed them some meaty options once or twice a week, as they too may go rogue and eat corals if they're hungry enough.

4. OP
    OP
    Danny___13

5. OP
    OP
    Danny___13

Hey thanks for the advice!!
    How would u get rid of the aiptasia? I’ve heard a lot about the Red Sea product?
    I’m guna try get rid of the crab looks like I’m guna have to take out the rock it’s living in because it never out an if it sees someone near the tank it just hides away
    Thanks again bud!!

6. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

You asked for it bud... here's my book on aiptasia. :)

Our reef tank never had live rock introduced, only dry, (which became live rock in our tank), and that is because we feared pests like aiptasia. A few months in, we got a marine plant, macroalgae called chaeto, which is used in refugiums to keep nitrates low. We were still pretty new to the hobby and never thought that chaeto needed to be quarantined, but that's what brought aiptasia to our tank! Moral of the beginning of this story? Quarantine everything!!! Any fish can bring disease, there's even a rare chance of getting ich in your tank from something as simple as a snail, and any plant or anything stony, (including the frag plugs corals come on), can bring pests.

Okay, so we had aiptasia, but there were only a few. We got that RedSea product, called AiptasiaX. We used it following directions as best as we could, and for a while, it seemed successful. However, every time we thought we got them all, more would pop up in a week or so. This went on for months and eventually, the aiptasia population in our tank grew. One week we might get 6-8 of them with AiptasiaX, but the next week there would be 12-14. Still, we used Aiptasia X. Directions state that the pest must eat the paste, but when you're dealing with a dozen or more, it's difficult to be sure you've targeted every one just right. Still, we did our best until the population got huge and it was taking more than an hour to target each one for a single full tank treatment.

Here's the thing, aiptasia can send out spores as a last-ditch effort at survival, and if the pest doesn't eat the paste, die quick enough, or whatever, this is what it does. If we go after them manually and leave even part of the foot, it will reproduce. So, we'd think we killed one, and 6 more would pop up in its place a few days later. It got bad and at this point, we knew the AiptasiaX treatments were making our problem worse.

Now, I've read stories of succes using AiptasiaX, but personally, I will never use it again. In the end, I got something that would eat the aiptasia. My tank is too small for the fish that will eat aiptasia, and I could have tried peppermint shrimp, but that's not a guarantee. I went with Berghia nudibranchs, small white sea slugs who only eat aiptasia, nothing else. It took a few weeks, but 6 of those little guys in a 20g tank wiped out an aiptasia colony that easily numbered over 100.

Perhaps you don't have to go there yet, but I do like to share my story as a warning to others so they'll be careful with injection products. How many of them do you see? I think if it's not too many, I'd try the peppermint shrimp before I used AiptasiaX. But... you're not cycled yet, or are you? Sometimes live rock can give you an instant cycle. :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018