Cpo Breeding Questions

ahouseofscales

Hi! I currently have a male and female CPO (Mango and Melon). They must have recently bred as I noticed a few days ago that Melon had dug out a cave for herself and was carrying eggs. I would really love to try and raise the fry but I don't have any experience with breeding crustaceans! Everything I have found has said to leave the female in the tank and have hiding places for the fry, but my CPOs live in a tank with my dwarf gouramI Tango. He leaves the CPOs alone but he does go to the bottom and eat their food, and I wouldn't put it past him to eat a baby cray if he got a chance! So I guess my question is, should I move the female to a separate tank to hatch the eggs? Or should I leave her where she is? Thanks!

lonehunter

Hello I have experience breeding crayfish I think I can help you so first you need to remove the female to a separate tank you can’t trust the gouramI or mango and after a week you should remove the female as well she can eat the fry now onto care it’s pretty much the same as a adult crayfish but you need to feed much more I’d say at least three times a day more if you want them to grow faster and have a filter or air stone for water movement and that’s it

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Dont remove the female, remove the male as this will stress her out less. Just keep the water clean and the fry will be good

OP
ahouseofscales

ahouseofscales

lonehunter said:
Hello I have experience breeding crayfish I think I can help you so first you need to remove the female to a separate tank you can’t trust the gouramI or mango and after a week you should remove the female as well she can eat the fry now onto care it’s pretty much the same as a adult crayfish but you need to feed much more I’d say at least three times a day more if you want them to grow faster and have a filter or air stone for water movement and that’s it
What size tank should I have for the babies?

H Farnsworth said:
Dont remove the female, remove the male as this will stress her out less. Just keep the water clean and the fry will be good
I don't feel comfortable just removing the male as I have a gouramI in the tank as well and I want a high survival rate.

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Well then I'd catch her in a cup not a net and do it sooner rather than later. A 10 gallon is more than enough for the babies.

New Threads