Cpo Breeding Questions

ahouseofscales

Hi! I currently have a male and female CPO (Mango and Melon). They must have recently bred as I noticed a few days ago that Melon had dug out a cave for herself and was carrying eggs. I would really love to try and raise the fry but I don't have any experience with breeding crustaceans! Everything I have found has said to leave the female in the tank and have hiding places for the fry, but my CPOs live in a tank with my dwarf gouramI Tango. He leaves the CPOs alone but he does go to the bottom and eat their food, and I wouldn't put it past him to eat a baby cray if he got a chance! So I guess my question is, should I move the female to a separate tank to hatch the eggs? Or should I leave her where she is? Thanks!

lonehunter

Hello I have experience breeding crayfish I think I can help you so first you need to remove the female to a separate tank you can’t trust the gouramI or mango and after a week you should remove the female as well she can eat the fry now onto care it’s pretty much the same as a adult crayfish but you need to feed much more I’d say at least three times a day more if you want them to grow faster and have a filter or air stone for water movement and that’s it

H Farnsworth

Dont remove the female, remove the male as this will stress her out less. Just keep the water clean and the fry will be good

ahouseofscales

lonehunter said:
Hello I have experience breeding crayfish I think I can help you so first you need to remove the female to a separate tank you can’t trust the gouramI or mango and after a week you should remove the female as well she can eat the fry now onto care it’s pretty much the same as a adult crayfish but you need to feed much more I’d say at least three times a day more if you want them to grow faster and have a filter or air stone for water movement and that’s it
What size tank should I have for the babies?

H Farnsworth said:
Dont remove the female, remove the male as this will stress her out less. Just keep the water clean and the fry will be good
I don't feel comfortable just removing the male as I have a gouramI in the tank as well and I want a high survival rate.

H Farnsworth

Well then I'd catch her in a cup not a net and do it sooner rather than later. A 10 gallon is more than enough for the babies.

Top Bottom