20 Gallon Tank CPDs, Otos, and neocardinia numbers

Matt11711

Hi,
My 20 long is doing pretty well right now and it has a lot of plants, 5-6 cherry shrimp, 2 otos (all the pet store had, going to get more as soon as they are in stock, with the idea being that they would have been lonely in the pet store anyway. ) And I should have a young clown pleco in the tank somewhere but I haven't seen it in over two weeks. It just sits on driftwood and I've never seen it swimming at all. That's the tank right now.
My plan is to have it stocked with CPDs, shrimp, and otos. I'm planning on waiting on the CPDs until A, the weather warms up enough for shipping, and B, my shrimp have time to breed and increase their numbers. My question is, how many of each species should I aim for, and what would be overstocking or getting close? I have an aquaclear 30 filter.
I was thinking 8 CPDs, 7-8 otos, and then idk for shrimp, like 15? Does that sound right? Thanks!

kansas

I started with 10 shrimp in a tank with endlers 6 months ago, now there are many. It's heavily planted with piles of small stones.

That sounds like a pretty good stocking to me, I think many people overstock.

Upvote 0

FishSupreme

Otos can do well in groups of 3 to 4. A 20 gallon probably won't contain enough algae for them. Feed daily algae wafers and boiled vegetables to keep them happy.

Upvote 0

smee82

Id up your school of CPDs to 12 and only 6 ottos.

Upvote 0

Matt11711

Id up your school of CPDs to 12 and only 6 ottos.
Is that because of fish happiness, bio load, or just a nicer looking tank? I was under the impression that CPDs aren't true schooling fish but otos are, so it was more important to have more otos.

Upvote 0

smee82

Their both schooling but CPDs in my experience are extremely aggressive little buggers but only with each other so a bigger school will spread out the males aggression.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
20 Gallon Tank Rosy loaches vs oto cats
Replies
Views
Otocinclus13
Replies
Views
Convoluted77
  • Question
Replies