10 Gallon Tank CPDs or Chili Rasboras?

Danny002

I'm getting back into fishkeeping after a bit of lull and I'm working on cycling a 10 gallon tank. I've been thinking about putting either some celestial pearl danios in there or some chilI rasboras, but I can't seem to find much on the rasboras. How many could I put in there? Either way I go it would just be the one species of fish, possibly with some ramshorn snails. Any advice would be appreciated, as well as any information an the rasboras.

Here is a picture of the tank if anyone is interested:

IMG_0788.jpg

SM1199

Both species would be very happy in that tank. A school around 10-15 would be perfect for either species. It really comes down to two things: Which species do you like the look of better, and what temperature is it at/do you plan to keep it at? Chilis should have a heater, CPDs do best without.

I am partial to CPDs, so I vote CPDs. But that's just me. I find them to be very hardy fish that are a muddy brown color at the store then explode with color once they're introduced to a planted tank. They're also fairly easy to breed if you ever want to up the population or keep the population steady over many years.

pattersonbear

I don't know much about CPDs, but since chilis are so tiny and have a miniscule bioload I think you could probably fit around 15-20 if they are the only fish in there.

Danny002

I'll probably go with CPDs because the heater I do have is pretty large and unattractive. I have heard that the males will fight if there are not enough females, so I'll probably get 2 males and 8 females. Would this be okay? How can I tell the difference between males and females?

QCAquaholic

I'd say chilis right now. There have been posts about unhealthy CPD's from all over.

SM1199

Danny002 said:
I'll probably go with CPDs because the heater I do have is pretty large and unattractive. I have heard that the males will fight if there are not enough females, so I'll probably get 2 males and 8 females. Would this be okay? How can I tell the difference between males and females?
You will have a very hard time telling the difference between males and females in the store. You don't need to worry about that, for the most part, because males will display at and chase each other, but will not attack or harm each other.

Danny002

SM1199 said:
You will have a very hard time telling the difference between males and females in the store. You don't need to worry about that, for the most part, because males will display at and chase each other, but will not attack or harm each other.
Okay, thank you. I don't know if I'll be able to find them at my LFS, as I haven't noticed them there before. Is there a good online store I can get them from?

SM1199

Danny002 said:
Okay, thank you. I don't know if I'll be able to find them at my LFS, as I haven't noticed them there before. Is there a good online store I can get them from?
I have not personally bought CPDs online before, so I don't have any resources I can tell you I have experience with. Shop around the online fish stores, read reviews, and compare prices, and you should find a good reliable store. There are plenty.

JettsPapa

Danny002

JettsPapa

Danny002 said:
I have thought about those...
Their color would look good against the plants and rocks.

sfsamm

I keep and spawn CPDs. I am a bit fond of them over chilis.... But buying in person is your safest bet, I have ordered and purchased in person and all but once ordering was perfectly healthy. The one not healthy group was gram negative bacteria, they looked fine acclimated fine and 5 of 13 were dead by bedtime... by 24 hours I had 2 remaining and, I having already been setup as I've been experienced in the hobby for 30 years, managed to keep those 2 alive with some triage fish medic luck.

That said I've ordered plenty of fish in my day and attribute the insanely fast denise to gram negative bacterial infection in a tiny fish that doesn't have much spread to dead. I've ordered them since and even from the se supplier.

Danny002

sfsamm said:
I keep and spawn CPDs. I am a bit fond of them over chilis.... But buying in person is your safest bet, I have ordered and purchased in person and all but once ordering was perfectly healthy. The one not healthy group was gram negative bacteria, they looked fine acclimated fine and 5 of 13 were dead by bedtime... by 24 hours I had 2 remaining and, I having already been setup as I've been experienced in the hobby for 30 years, managed to keep those 2 alive with some triage fish medic luck.

That said I've ordered plenty of fish in my day and attribute the insanely fast denise to gram negative bacterial infection in a tiny fish that doesn't have much spread to dead. I've ordered them since and even from the se supplier.
Yeah I would much rather buy in person, fingers crossed I'll be able to find them

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom