Cpd's Dying Off One By One! Help!

Violetskies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just got an order of 20 Celestial Pearl Danios on Friday. A few of them looked kind of thin and sick, but they were eating, so I didn't do anything special except keep an eye on them. The next day, one had died (and been eaten by the snails) and a few others were looking sick. Their tummys were concave, even though they were eating, and they seemed to be struggling against the current. So, I put a baffle on the filter, put some Kanaplex in with a water change, and got the remains of the fish out.
Then, this morning, at least three more had died, and most of them are sick and struggling, and not eating any more. I spent nearly $100 on these fish and they've become my new favorites. I don't want to lose all of them!

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So sorry to hear about the sick fish! That's worrisome that their stomachs are concave. Have you contacted the seller? You shouldn't have to give new fish Kanaplex--that's a huge step to take. If you do believe that this is a gram negative mycobacterium, odds are that it is drug resistant.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There seem to be something in CPD's Violet. I, my son and a lot of members around the world have this experience.
They were suspected to be pro
one to TB, but strange thing there always will be some that won't be affected.
I'd seriously share this with the LFS.
That's by far too much money to not to.
Check the fish in their displaytank. I think you might see the same.

Violetskies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
endlercollector said:
You shouldn't have to give new fish Kanaplex--that's a huge step to take.
I didn't realize that. However it was the only medicine I had on hand and I was kind of panicking at that point, and it was 10 pm.

I'm now down to 7 CPD's, 4 of which are struggling to swim upright. Last night I did a water change, and added a wad of Java moss to baffle the filter flow even more and give them more cover. I'm very discouraged by this. I hope it's not something I did wrong. Water parameters are all stable, btw, pH at 7.2, everything else 0. This tank was cycled enough for 20 small fish, easily.

I have emailed the seller (I bought them online from LiveAquaria.com) and asked if they can give me a refund, or replacement fish.

Violetskies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok, I've never heard of those, but I'll look for them at my LFS. Thanks

Violetskies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've used general cure in the past. I don't have any rn, but I'll definitely get some tonight.

Question, if I do a big water change and let the filter run with carbon for a few hours to remove the Kanaplex, can I add general cure the same day, or would that be over treating the fish and just weaken them more?

bgclarke

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would think by doing a large water change you would remove most of the Kanaplex.
I'm not sure how fast the carbon would remove the remaining amount.

Violetskies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I did a water change and added some general cure this morning. No change so far, but no more have died, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Metronidazole is used to treat tuberculosis in people in certain situations. Here's the deal: we keep throwing antibiotics at anything that moves and then end up creating drug-resistant bugs, which are extremely scary. If these fish came to you with mycobacterial infection(s), it's very unlikely that any medication will save more than 50% of them. I can say this based on decades of experience with these diseases.

What is probably going on is that there is a dormant mycobacterial infection in the seller's tank(s) that s/he may not even be aware of. This is a very common situation as animals can survive and live well if they are kept in pristine situations. When the fish traveled to you, they experienced a lot of stress, which triggered the active infection that you're seeing.

If your replacement fish work out, then keep them, just be careful and don't put your hands in the water. Always examine yourself for any cuts or scratches, and avoid that tank if you have any. If your replacement fish come down with the same illness, alert the seller, do not add any other animals to that tank, and when they all eventually die off, do a complete teardown.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom