Cpd

1. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

hi guys-
    most of you know I'm trying to plan what to stock my 20g with! I've came across celestial pearl danios multiple times and they really intrigue me. I know there is much debate and controversy on them, though so I would love you guys opinions and experience from them if you've had them. thank you!

2. Anthony10 Member Member

I would maybe go with 3 or 5, realize my saying for 3 OR 5, putting an odd number will help with any aggression issues you might have! I own zebra danios, so CPDs can't be much different? My experience with danios is around 2 months, and I wouldn't trade them for anything! Not even a 500g tank! (Well, maybe... :D ) Anyways, I'd try it, danios are great fish and are easy to keep! Good luck!

-Anthony

3. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

thank you! apparently CPD are really shy at first so I'm not sure if that's normal danio behavior or not :p

4. FiscCyning Member Member

From what I've read CPD are much different from other danios, so I wouldn't assume that all danio experiences apply to them.

5. renthus Well Known Member Member

Are CPDs danios or rasboras? Because their second name is Galaxy Rasbora.

6. smee82 Well Known Member Member

they were Rasboras now they're danios.

Ive got 5 had 6 but 1 disappeared in a 15g planted that were really shy and i didn't see them often until after i added 4 dario darios.
    I think they need another nano fish in with them that are not shy as a dither fish for them to be truly active and they also seem to love swimming among the plants. They are great little fish and id love to get a 20g for them so i can have more.

7. FiscCyning Member Member

As I recall they were initially called rasboras when they were first discovered, but it was later realized that they are actually a type of danio.

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Cpd's are danios but very different from other danios.They can be quite shy & need to be kept in groups of at least 6, more is better, don't keep them with large boisterous fish they're better with fish more their own size.
    They're not fast swimmers though they do need space, they prefer to hover amongst plants in the middle of the tank.
    The more cover you give them the more you'll see them, they prefer cooler temperatures mine spawned regularly around 22c

9. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Thanks guys! Do you think I should get them or will they be hard to care for for a beginner?

10. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

What else is on your wish list? Cpd's are not hard to keep, lower temps, good water & food & some planting for hiding places
    I had my Cpd's with ember tetras & corys

11. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

I'm not really sure yet. I'm definitely getting julii corydoras. probably about 6 of them. and then i probably need to get a dither fish for the CPD. I still need to cycle my tank, too. Do you think CPD could survive the cycle with TSS? also where did you purchase them?

12. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I wouldn't have Cpd's or corys in an uncycled tank, just my opinion but fishless cycling is kinder.
    Most Lfs will be able to get them for you, luckily more are now tank bred than wild caught.
    Btw most Julii's in Lfs are Trilineatus.

13. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

14. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If you already have fish in the tank continue cycling with those then when that's done you can slowly add the new fish

15. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

no fish in it right now

16. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Am I missing something, if there are no fish in the tank why can't you fishless cycle?

17. Anthony10 Member Member

I use a minnow for fish less cycles, my pond has tons so if he survives he goes back into the pond! I wouldn't use a Cpd for a fish cycle, just my opinion!

-Anthony

18. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Coradee is right about the cooler temperatures. She helped me steer clear of the beautiful CPD species because of my current stock. Lots of folks also have a difficult time keeping their smaller tank's temperature down in the summer due to the ambient room temp. Even in cooler seasons, smaller tanks with really warm light fixtures still make it difficult. Fans can make a difference, but then you are talking about a lot of effort to maintain a lower temperature.

19. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

I'll be going on vacation so if I cycled it, the cycle would be lost because there would be no one to add ammonia. Once I get back from vacation I would like to add fish.
    anyways, I've looked for ammonia multiple times and can't find any without fragrances. I can't order online so I'm kind of stuck. There's so many different factors that it gets too complicated to find everything.
    That's why I can't fishless cycle and Id rather just cycle with TSS because it's readily available to me.

20. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Oh right, I understand now :)