Cpd Rescue! What Do I Do? Help

Discussion in 'Celestial Pearl Danio' started by Violetskies, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Violetskies

Violetskies Valued Member Member

They were in a donation tank at petco in with some gold fish, cichlids, and a huge gourami. While I watched, the gourami ate one of them! So I bought them and brought them home, but I haven't done much research on them yet. What do I feed them? They're not much bigger than fry, and they look relatively healthy, if a bit thin (I suspect they haven't been able to compete with the bigger fish).

Also, since they were in a donation/quarantine tank, should I treat them with some medicine just in case? I have them acclimating in a cycled 5 gallon tank at the moment.
    Edit: I got a decent picture of two of them, how do they look? CPD pic.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  2. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

3. OP
    OP
    Violetskies

Yes. So, I have some Hikari first bites and dropped a pinch directly into the bag. They are pretty shy and stressed, but I think I saw them eat a bit.

4. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

I fed mine Hikari micro pellets. The first bites may work for a bit, but it's essentially powdered food meant for fry and isn't ideal for adult CPDs. I would definitely quarantine.

5. OP
    OP
    Violetskies

Okay, excellent, I have some of that too. I am definitely quarantining them, but I suppose I'll wait to put medicine in the water until they show signs of sickness.

I fed them some frozen daphnia after they'd been in the tank for a while and they gobbled those up. I also read that they'll eat baby brine shrimp, so I think I'll set up my hatchery again as a treat for all the fishies.

6. DoubleDutch

I don't want to disappoint you and hope I am wrong. My experiences with this (getting thin) is not very good and in fact irreversable.

having read threads on several forums plus my experiences twll me there is something in CPD's causing this. Suspecions about tb were given. I suspect a certain viral disease.

Hoping these will make it, buy please e prepared for the worse case senario.

7. OP
    OP
    Violetskies

Uh-oh, okay well it's only been a day so I'll stay positive. Do you think it's exclusive to CPDs? Because I've gotten zebra danios that were thin when I first got them, and fattened up on a diet of mostly frozen and live foods...

8. DoubleDutch

Think it is only in CPD's.

9. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

I would say this applies to erythromicron microrasbora as well (technically a danionin). When they come in thin and haggard, they never seem to be able to revert back to chubby, healthy fish.

10. OP
    OP
    Violetskies

Update on the rescue fish, one of them seems to be doing better, but the others are still thin and not eating. I'll post a picture of the healthy looking one. I don't think it's still thin, but what do you think? CPD healthy.jpg

Should I take this one out and then try to treat the tank with General Cure, just in case?

11. 86 ssinit

86 ssinit Well Known Member Member

Not a keeper of CPD but that fish looks fine. I would leave it with the others. It’s eating may attract the others to eat. Nice job saving those fish good luck with them.

12. DoubleDutch

Was this fish exactly looking the same (thin) like the others ? If so you did wonderful. I don't know the med and I don't like "general" treatment, but if you're treating I personally would treat all fish (even the ones that look a bit better than the others). Even looking better doesn't mean it hasn't the same issue.

Fingers crossed you can save this beautiful fish.

13. OP
    OP
    Violetskies

Thank you! Yes they were all skinny like in the first picture. I have ended up not treating them (yet).
    General Cure is especially good for parasites. It cured my community tank of a wasting disease, and I've used it to treat dropsy in a betta (though I treated too late and he didn't make it), and de-worm dwarf puffers. imo it's a pretty good medicine.

Anyways, I took a video, and I think I got all of them. Two are still skinnier than I'd like, but they look better over all. Don't mind the snails...

14. phantom

phantom Valued Member Member

whats cpd stand for?

15. 86 ssinit

Celestial pearl danio. Great video. Fish look good for what they been through. Keep up the good work :). They are tiny fish. Can they be kept in a 5 gal tank??

16. OP
    OP
    Violetskies

Thanks! I'm keeping them in a 5 gallon for now, but I'll be moving them into my 30 gallon community when I think they're ready.

17. 86 ssinit

No I’m just wondering since there so small can they be kept in a 5 gal. Looks like a good fit for a Nano tank.

18. OP
    OP
    Violetskies

Oh, well I don't know about long term, but probably. They are tiny, and seem to have almost no bioload.

19. Ziggythecat

Ziggythecat Valued Member Member

I’ve had a very similar problem with my mollies and platies, swordtails too. But that could’ve been a parasite. It was very contagious to older fish. None of my fry were effected.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice