CPD Care?

1. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Hey guys. I went to the LFS today to pick up 5 CPDs and 1 Honey Gourami for my 10 gal.

I just wanted to know the basic care:

Temp?
    Feeding?

2. Brainlady

Brainlady Well Known Member Member

I typically keep my tanks around 78-80 degrees. Keeping a smaller tank can, I think be harder than keeping a large one in terms of maintaining water quality and temp. I have to say that a Honey Gourami is a little large to keep in a 10 gallon with 5 other fish and a large plant. I know you know about the nitrogen cycle, but I think taking some time to understand tank size requirements may help. Perhaps others disagree with me, but a Honey Gourami likes to swim..... and there isn't far to swim in a ten gallon. A dwarf Gourami may be better. I don't know anything about CPD's so am going to do some research before I post on them. I do not want to offend in any way, but I had a Honey Gourami in a 55 gallon tank and he used the whole tank.

Ok, looked up CPD's.... they are so cute!!! Sound perfect for a 10 gallon, but as said before, I have never kept them. Do you have pictures of your tank?

3. OP
    OP
    QQQUUUUAADDD

No not yet. They're going to be in quarantine for a month.

4. Danionins.com

Danionins.com Valued Member Member

CPD's are very small and timid fish. They require lots of cover to feel safe. They prefer cooler water with the temperatures in the high 60's to lower 70's. When kept in a species tank, they most often stay near the bottom of the tank. They feel most at home eating at the lower levels and do best with foods that will sink to this level. I feed Golden Pearls in the smaller sizes along with shrimp sticks and algae wafers.

If you are interested in even more info on these unique little fish, I have an entire web site dedicated to them; www.celestialpearldanio.com

Best of luck with your new fish!

Dennis

5. OP
    OP
    QQQUUUUAADDD

One more question guys.

I sexed my fish and noticed 4 males and 1 female. I think this is a problem because the female stays in a cave all the time and the males are chasing her out. It's a 10 gallon with 1 honey gourami and 5 CPDs. So could I add more female CPDs?

6. OP
    OP
    QQQUUUUAADDD

Mods, can you make my last post a seperate thread?

Thanks!

7. t

tress29 Valued Member Member

I have one male and three females in a 10 gallon tank with sand and live plants. I'd like to add a few more, but none of the LFS have them right now. I didn't know about the cooler temps though, I'll adjust my heater.

8. OP
    OP
    QQQUUUUAADDD

Bumpity!

9. t

tress29 Valued Member Member

I'd say yes on more females, if you can find them! I got some at two diff stores, and now they are all out!