Coworker Needs Advice On Bullying Angel

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Coworker has a 40gal with 2 angelfish, a pleco, and a school of neons and a couple mollies (i think) and maybe some other fish.

The one angel is bullying her other fish into hiding and has even killed a 3rd angel.

Shes looking for advice to help adjust this, she doesnt want to rehome the angel but will if she cant fix it with other means.

I can get more info overnight during my shift if more info is needed (probably will need more)

RyanLee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The angelfish are cichlids and agressive by nature. They will eventually kill the mollies and neons. She probably needs to decide if she wants to keep peacfull fish like mollies and neons or angelfish. If she wants to keep the angelfish, get a few more and that way they can spread their agression out amongst the group insted of on 1 or 2 rivals.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The best advice you can give your friend is to sign up to fishlore herself.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ill send her the link

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
RyanLee said:
The angelfish are cichlids and agressive by nature. They will eventually kill the mollies and neons. She probably needs to decide if she wants to keep peacfull fish like mollies and neons or angelfish. If she wants to keep the angelfish, get a few more and that way they can spread their agression out amongst the group insted of on 1 or 2 rivals.
Ehhh. . . I'm no Angelfish owner, but that doesn't sound right.

Fish0n

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
RyanLee said:
Strongly disagree with this statement. Angels will likely begin to pair off and need enough space for territories otherwise the aggression issues will intensify.
I would recommend dividing the tank with lots of tall plant/decor to break up sight lines but if the aggression continues then rehome one angelfish.

RyanLee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, so it appears several people have success keeping angels in a community tank with tetras. I've only had angels once with tetras and it did not go well. Perhaps I had some demon angels, it seems like it works with most other people though.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe it is her one angel mostly targeting the other angel, though they had apparently paired up before.

I invited her to join, so hopefully she can see this and get some further help with them

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A 40 gallon is a bit small for angle fish. I would get a bigger tank or rehome the angle.

TJG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tank size and decor will play a major role with angels. I have found that if they feel crowded they will try to kill everything they see.

Atomicfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Angels are Cichlids I know that much but i have never seen one be aggressive or kill anything. They usually are the ones getting picked on by nippy fish do to there long fins and feelers.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can assure you based on personal experience that angle fish are very aggressive especially during breeding.

jeannerphillips

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MissNoodle said:
Coworker has a 40gal with 2 angelfish, a pleco, and a school of neons and a couple mollies (i think) and maybe some other fish.

The one angel is bullying her other fish into hiding and has even killed a 3rd angel.

Shes looking for advice to help adjust this, she doesnt want to rehome the angel but will if she cant fix it with other means.

I can get more info overnight during my shift if more info is needed (probably will need more)
should not be putting neons and mollies in the same tank as angel fish. Neons and Mollies are community fish Angel fish are semi aggressive not a good mix

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MissNoodle said:

Bullying the other angel? Or the other community fish?

Bullying the other angel makes sense. But angels typically only harass non angels if they are protecting a spawn.

All this talk about angels not being community fish is a bit extreme!! I keep angels in all my community tanks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom