Coverting salt tank to freshwater

Cody6511

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey all, any help on this would be great! I am outgrowing my 55 gallon so I decided to upgrade. I found a 120 gallon tall tank and went and spoke with the owner about it today. The tank is in great shape but there are a few pressing issues i need to deal with.

1. The 120 gallon was used as a salt tank, i have freshwater fish so how do i make sure it is all cleaned and safe for my guys?

2. The tank has 2 built in powerheads and a sump system with bio-balls. Should i buy new bio-balls? And how do I clean out the hoses leading to the sump?

3. The guy said if the power goes out the sump will spill over, I obviously don't want this to happen so any suggestions on how to prevent this would also be great.

4. There is hard water build up on the powerheads and some of the tank. What is best to remove this?

I know this sounds like a daunting task in front of me but he made me a great deal on the tank and I hate to pass it up.

HELP!! Any suggesions are greatly GREATLY appreciated!!

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would think a thourough rinsing would get rid of the salt since it dissolves in water. I would buy new Bio balls. Use PVC piping to raise the level the water is collected at or make/purchase an overflow (do a search on Google or fish lore for DIY overflow) to eliminate the flood problem. Try vinegar or pure ammonia (no colors, frgrence, soaps, or other addetives) on the hard water stains.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When I converted my 34G back to freshwater from saltwater I filled the tank up and gave everything a good scrub, then did daily 50% water changes for a week (Not fun lol).

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just currious, did you check salinity to see if this was actually required or just do it to be safe?

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Checked it daily for 5 days until it was about 1.002 and then did the other 2 days just in hope to get rid of that last .002

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cody6511 said:
3. The guy said if the power goes out the sump will spill over, I obviously don't want this to happen so any suggestions on how to prevent this would also be great.
Can you post a picture of the current overflow and sump? If the sump floods during a power outage, than the sump wasn't designed very well. If it's possible, fill the sump with as little water as possible to allow it to take on more water before spilling over.

Cody6511

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the info everyone.

Funkman262- I wish I could post a picture but i havent picked it up from his house yet. The way his sump worked (and this may be wrong because i have never used a sump before) was that there were two built in filters in each back corner then the water went into an empty side of the sump on the left, then into the midddle which held the bioballs then to the right side which also had nothing in it. I am probably telling you everything you already assumed but again I have never used a sump and I have no idea if this is normal or not. I still don't really understand the concept of it because supposedly the area of the tank where the filters are is only supposed to have a few inches of water?? This probably is not making any sense but its the best way I can explain it. He also said if i keep the water level down about an inch and a half from the top of the tank it won't flood.

Any thoughts to this?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads