Question Covering for a planted tank

Shashank1008

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have recently setup a 42 gallon planted tank and am almost done with the cycling process.
I am thinking of adding the following
5 pairs of blood fin tetras
1 pair of discus (or angelfish)
And a few rainbowfish
Was wondering whether these fishes tend to jump out and whether I require a tank lid for these.
Tank lids are very costly in my place and I'd like to cut down if it's not necessary

Thanks in advance

Madchild57

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Shashank1008 said:
Hello All,

I have recently setup a 42 gallon planted tank and am almost done with the cycling process.
I am thinking of adding the following
5 pairs of blood fin tetras
1 pair of discus (or angelfish)
And a few rainbowfish
Was wondering whether these fishes tend to jump out and whether I require a tank lid for these.
Tank lids are very costly in my place and I'd like to cut down if it's not necessary

Thanks in advance
Discus won't work, they get massive. I'm inclined to also say angels won't work since they can become territorial especially if breeding. I speak from experience here, I had a particularly angry angelfish in a 37 gallon and he terrorized all his tank mates besides my bottom feeders and my other angelfish. If youre going to do 2 angels in a 42, ensure that its long enough to accomodate territories.
As far as jumping, angelfish don't really move fast enough to be a jumping threat. Even when they freak out, like if you move too quickly or they get scared, they tend to move horizontally rather than jumping out.
I can't say anything about the others, but I don't think tetras are known to be jumpers like swordtails.

OP
S

Shashank1008

Reaction score
Madchild57 said:
Discus won't work, they get massive. I'm inclined to also say angels won't work since they can become territorial especially if breeding. I speak from experience here, I had a particularly angry angelfish in a 37 gallon and he terrorized all his tank mates besides my bottom feeders and my other angelfish. If youre going to do 2 angels in a 42, ensure that its long enough to accomodate territories.
As far as jumping, angelfish don't really move fast enough to be a jumping threat. Even when they freak out, like if you move too quickly or they get scared, they tend to move horizontally rather than jumping out.
I can't say anything about the others, but I don't think tetras are known to be jumpers like swordtails.
Thank you for your input.
Could I go for pearl gouramis instead of discus or angelfish???

Madchild57

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Shashank1008 said:
Thank you for your input.
Could I go for pearl gouramis instead of discus or angelfish???
I think that could work, I'm more familiar with honey gouramis and thick lipped gouramis, but the size checks out. Would look into their temperament though.

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have open top tanks too and just drap flyscreen over the light and use butterfly clips to hold it in place to stop the jumpers.

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
egg crate works for a cover too . just snap it to the shape you need you dont even have to take it off to feed and what not

Utar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
For as tank top lids, not sure if my suggestion will work for you are not. I use for my tank lids. I bought a sheet of this at Home Depot. But you have to cut it yourself to your tank size with a skill saw. This is 36 dollars USA per sheet, but there is enough to do several tanks lids, in that way a huge cost saver.

New Threads