Covering aquasoil with gravel layer

altwitch
So, I've about had it trying to plant anything in aquasoil. It's a total pain and constantly get floaters; worse yet I'm trying to teach the kids to tend the tanks and for them it's impossible. I like the soil for plant growth so am looking for a user friendly solution to get the best of both worlds. My best idea is to use some small gauge gravel to make a thin layer over the soil so the gravel would hold the plants down and they could 'root' in the soil. Can anyone think of a reason this wouldn't work? The biggest problem I foresee is I have a type of grass in the tank that grows via runners and can be a bit of a challenge to uproot at pruning time - fear this could get messy. I hypothesize doing so would result in an unknown amount of the soil winding up back on top. That's not necessarily a problem as I don't have issue with the appearance of the soil and it's mostly concealed by the plants lower leaves and roots.

Thoughts and experiences welcome....
Thanks.

Trashboat
I'm actually planning on rebuilding my aquarium into a planted tank, which would be my 2nd so far, for my 1st one I had about one and a half inches of dirt/soil and about 2 inches of sand the sand is best for holding the dirt down and you never vacuum sand with a siphon just suck up anything on the top of the sand, typically you shouldn't uproot plants when cutting them back its best to just cut them back with scissors.

I have also seen people use a piece of mesh to seperate the soil and the sand and also allow plant roots to grow down into the soil for nutrients.

Mudminnow
altwitch said:
My best idea is to use some small gauge gravel to make a thin layer over the soil so the gravel would hold the plants down and they could 'root' in the soil. Can anyone think of a reason this wouldn't work?
Thanks.
It seems like a good idea to me. I've not capped aquasoil before, but I have capped other loose soils. And, with aquasoil, you have a more standardized product that you know will work.

Top Bottom