Cover on Q tank

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, do I actualy need a cover on my Q tank? The one that came with it doesn't fit very well and was wondering if I would actualy need it since it is a Q tank. I thought I read somewhere that you didn't need one, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

Thanks

Gwenz

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Will you keep any fish in that tank to keep it continuously cycled? Or will you be keeping it cycled in some other way? If you will keep it cycled by having fish in there that are likely to jump out, a cover would be helpful. But if it will not have any fish in there, I don't think you need any cover, not even the light.

If you don't want to keep any fish in there and you won't be doing anything to keep it cycled, what you can do is use the filter from the Q tank on your main tank. This way the filter stays colonized by beneficial bacteria, and when you buy new fish or if any of your fish gets sick, then you simply fill the Q tank with water and take the established filter from the main tank and hang it on the Q tank. It will be cycled "instantly" this way. Of course ... you can keep the Q tank running instead all of the above, but remember in that case to keep it cycled somehow.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Isabella. I was only wondering because the lid doesn't fit very well.

I have a betta in my Q tank at the moment because his main tank hasn't cycled yet. I put the cover on with the light but the light isn't a fluorecant one and Gadget (my betta) doesn't seem to like the light and sits at the bottom when it's on as if he is scared, so It's never on for very long. In his new tank he will have a fluorecant light. Also, he swims around more when the cover is off.

I think I will do what you said and put the filter into my main tank to keep it cycled so I don't have to keep the whole tank running when I'm not using it.

Thanks again.

Gwenz

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No problemo Gwenz, anytime

P.S. Maybe hanging another filter on your main tank will help you eliminate the algae problem? Or at least lessen the amount of algal growth? (That's because there'll be more bacteria to deal with your fishies' wastes, and that means less nutrients available to algae ... Plus, of course larger and more frequent water changes will remove nutrients from the water that would otherwise be available to algae).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom