Courtship!

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The male is showing breeding colors, I think. I walked by the tank just now, and noticed that both fish had the dark coloration that they usually only have right after I turn the light on (they fade to a lighter color shortly after the lights come on).
I looked closer, and noticed that the male's forehead was shifting between orange and purple (it was about as fast as an octopus can do... pretty neat to watch), and that he had an orange stripe down his side.
I've got spawning mops in the tanks. Hopefully, I'll find eggs tomorrow.
Here's one (out of a dozen or so) that turned out relatively sharp. Unfortunately, he responded to the flash, which I forgot to turn off, almost instantly, and much of the orange stripe is gone in the pic.

Attachments

DaroRs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Congrats!

Wish you good luck for raising the fry!

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OH to cool! spread the love big boy

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rainbows are really cool fish and such a variety too! good luck with a spawn!
Carol

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
looks like you have a turquoise rainbow, species such as the turquoise rainboow that display the courtship stripe will generally spawn in a dark hiding area of the tank. the males will almost always be ready to mate as long as the water quality is good. the females generallyspawn in the early morning as a rule, best of luck, and dont give up if no eggs tommorrow, give it a few days

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Best wishes for a successful spawn SDS!

Ken

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh wow, that is really cool! Good luck!

inncogneatoh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ayelie said:
OH to cool! spread the love big boy
that made me laugh so hard

congrats

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yesterday the male had dark sides, with no orange stripe, but a brilliant stripe along his forehead, all the way back to the fin, that flickered from orange to yellow to dark blue.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
they are beautiful when they do that, any luck on eggs yet

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Not yet.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've seen them in breeding mode almost every day for the past week. Sadly, I must be coming in at precisely the wrong time or something, because I have only found two eggs. I know they are avid egg eaters, and I'm afraid that I may be getting to the scene too late.
The two eggs have been moved to their own tank. I know that the chances of getting fry out of only two eggs are pretty slim, but I might as well try.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Woohoo! I found almost a dozen eggs today. My rainbows aren't following any of the "rules" about spawning. I've heard from a number of breeders who said that they go for spawning mops over anything else. I've only found one egg on a spawning mop so far. The rest have been on the guppy grass.
Kloseo said that they'll go for the shaded areas of the tank. Instead, they are avoiding the shaded area of the tank and spawning directly under the most exposed area of the tank.
They supposedly breed right after lights on, but I've caught them in breeding mode late in the afternoon, after the lights had been on for hours.

Anyway, the important part is that they're breeding, and that I have eggs. The next important part is getting the eggs to hatch and being able to feed them.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow, that's great! If the eggs are viable, how long until they hatch?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lucy said:
Wow, that's great! If the eggs are viable, how long until they hatch?
What I've read is one to two weeks.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ah! Congratulations!

Your rainbows march to the beat of a different drum, just like you. Pretty cool stuff!

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
wow congrats, sorry all my research said shade and early morning, but glad all are doing well and you are getting eggs. Guess your rainbows like the spotlight best of luck

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
YAY!!! Can't wait to see fry Yep sometime fish are just different
Carol

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
kloseo said:
wow congrats, sorry all my research said shade and early morning, but glad all are doing well and you are getting eggs. Guess your rainbows like the spotlight best of luck
No need to be sorry. I just thought it was funny that all of my research on what they liked for breeding was basically pointless. At least they seem to be settling on the early morning, lights-on spawning. I've got a better chance of finding eggs if I know when to check.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
cool... Best of luck and keep us posted would love to see pics thoroughout the process

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads