Couple Questions

danath256

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the fourms, and have some questions.

I purchased a 10 gallon tank from my local Petco. It was one of those "starter kit" kinds, I figured this would be the easiest way to get back into fish since I had a tank when I was younger and my mom gave it all away. I followed all the directions that came with the tank, and got my water from a friend who has an RO system and is big into saltwater fish.

I have a "Tetra Whisper Power Filter" are those any good or should I look for something new? it seems most of the water is draining back into the tank without going through the filter first, i followed all the directions that came with it, it seems like it can't pass as much water through the filter as is getting pumped into it.

But my concern was, I purchased a small air pump and air stone after I hooked everything up,now there are alot of bubbles that are ontop of the water, is this a problem?

I also got a small powerhead as a gift, I also have this in the tank with an airline hooked to it, I would like to keep it since the fish like to play in the current, but if its a bad idea I will remove it.

mistycheri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Fishlore!
As to your question about the Whisper Filter, they are good filters, I use them myself.
As to the bubbles on top of the water, that is normal and completely okay as long as your fish don't mind. By the way, what kind of fish do you have?
The water may look like it's not going thru the filter, but it is.
And as long as your fish like the powerhead current no problems there. But do you really need the air stone and the powerhead?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Depending on the fish you have the powerhead is probably the best of the two filters, I do not know what comments you will get from others but I personally do not care for the Whisper filters. I believe that the water does as you said and bypasses the filter media rather than going through it and the tank I had one on (very briefly) began to smell even with the addition of carbon. I have never had the same problem with my Bio-wheel filters and while I have not had any power filters, if you have fish that are enjoying the filter for heavens sake keep it.

I am like Cheri Ann though and wonder since you have a Power Filter ruffling up the water, why do you need an airstone unless you have a long tank and need it at the other end. If you have fish who love to play in the active water, and it sounds like you do, then you may want it just to give them another playground. ;D If you had Bettas in your tank, the currents would never work, but the fish you have are evidently more adventurous and playful in the currents.

Rose

danath256

Reaction score
Oh well, I bought the airstone and had placed it in my tank nicely, trying to make the airlines look good and not all over the tank and buried the stone in the gravel (not sure what I should call it) and I then got the powerhead for free so I added that to the other side of the tank with a little air coming through it, I have the valve closed about 1/2 for airflow to the powerhead and fully open for the stone. The powerhead seemed to make 10,000 tiny bubbles as apposed to the airstone making larger bubbles.

Currently in the tank I have: 2 Red eyed tetras, 2 Long-finnerd Zebra Danios, and 1 pleco
I also have a plant, but as for what kind it is.. I'm not sure

I would also like to add something to the tank that the fish could hide/swim in if they wanted, but I can't find anything that looks "good" to me. I have seen in some local fish stores they have PVC pipe in the tank, is that safe?

Thanks for the response

smillermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can use pvc piping. That would be fine. I would re-think the pleco though while it is still small and you can return it. They get very big very fast and are not appropriate for a small tank, as well as being very messy when they get big. A better choice would be a couple otocinclus or a bristle nose pleco. They are great algae eaters and stay small. In fact, I am off to the lfs today, just found out they have ottos and I have 2 new tanks with diatoms. Diatoms occur in every new tank so do not be alarmed when you get a brown slime on your tank, plants, gravel. It happens in every new tank and goes away eventually, however, the ottos will eat it! I love this hobby and you will enjoy it too! Add a couple more danios in the tank in a couple weeks as they like a larger schooling group. Other than the pleco, your tank sounds great!

danath256

Reaction score
Oh, as for the pleco, I didn't know there were different breeds on the tank it just said "algae eater" I had just assumed it was a pleco, he assured me it would stay small, If it turns out not to be the truth I'll return him/her for the type you had suggested.

Any other good community fish I could add? I was looking at a Gourami but I'm not sure what kind, there are so many.

Thanks for the quick response

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
You should return it now. If you don't, it will become stunted and will suffer health problems before dying a nasty death.  Stunting occurs when the outside of the body stays small but the insides continue to grow, and it happens LONG before a fish physically outgrows the tank.

As far as adding a gourami, you could get ONE dwarf gourami OR honey gourami. Most types would be of inappropriate size.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom