Couple questions...

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by showjumper_girl2002, Dec 5, 2012.

1. showjumper_girl2002Valued MemberMember

125 gal reef tank

Ok first question, one of my anemones I think is dying or is dead. I moved it to a better lit spot but the current has blown it away and i can't find it. If it dies and I can't find it is it going to take out my tank (due to messing up water parameters) or will my cleaner crew take care of it?

Ok next question, got a few new fish for my tank. One is a razor wrasse which I got about a week ago. He always hides and never comes out when I feed so I don't think he's getting any food. Should I be worried or is it just taking him a while to adjust? Same thing with the other two fish I got but they are only a day or two in he tank so I can see them just needing more time. So what do i do about fish that are so skittish they won come out when I feed?

2. EthanWell Known MemberMember

if saltwater fish are anything like my bn pleco and panda corys it will take them a while to adjust to the new tank took my corys 3 days to move from their driftwood cave lol and i have still barely glimpsed my bn :p

3. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

Anything definitely dead should be removed. I don't know how big your Nem is, or your cleaner crew, but it might take a while to clean up and foul the water quite quickly.

Some fish do take a while to adjust to a new tank, especially wild-caught fish not used to captivity. Providing enough cover, and not having the lights on too much (hard with corals etc...) always helps. Some just need time.

4. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

OK, so the anemone first...

What kind is it and how long have you had it? (Is your profile up to date?)
    Anemones can't be placed, they will simply wander around until they find a spot they like. Typically the spot will be in a good flow area, good light, and somewhere where its foot is protected. My 'nem (BTA) wandered for 4 weeks until it found somewhere it liked. Additionally, 'nems need good water quality, BTA's can tolerate NO3 & PO4 up to 2ppm, stable salinity, alkalinity, calcium and magnesium too. They are primarily filter feeders, so you need to feed the tank (my choice is Reef Roids, others use Cyclops).

I would suggest trying to find it ASAP, clean-up crews typically won't touch a dead anemone. Also, depending on the type of 'nem, it may release toxins as a defence if it senses it is dying. These toxins can be harmful to corals, and potentially other livestock. If you find it, keep an eye on it, don't try and move it.

And on to the fish:
    What are the wrasses you have in the tank? Wrasses typically shouldn't be mixed. Is it being bullied? They are also carnivorous, what are you feeding?

The other fish may need time to adjust.

Oh, and always, parameters?

5. showjumper_girl2002Valued MemberMember

Parameters are perfect. Anemone was a Condy that I've had for at least six months. It was fine until I noticed it was really close to a large aptasia and I think it got stung. I don't think I'm gonna find it without moving alot of my LR which I don't really wanna do as some fish have caves under them and I don't wanna squish them :/ the wrasse are fine together and don't pick on eachother. I have some of the more dosile ones.

6. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hmm, it is a strong possibility the anemonoe got stung. I've read many stories of aiptasia stinging anemones :(

Still, do your best to find it and remove.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice