Couple questions from a new Betta fish owner!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Crabby654, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Crabby654

Crabby654Valued MemberMember

Hey all! So I am migrating to this forum from the aquarium help forum because I feel these questions would be best suited here! I apologize if I could google these answers but I feel more comfortable with up to date information from people here :)

Now this is my first tank in about 15 years and I feel like I have the basic setup of the tank, it's a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and LED white light built in. I bought some black gravel, white plastic plants and a couple roman pillar decos. And I got ( I believe it's veil fin) Betta and he appears really happy.

Now for the questions:

- As of now I'm using the little packet of Betta pellets the tank came with. Is there a particular recommended food for a Betta?

- I am going to get a heater this weekend however my rooms temperature fluctuates widely all year round. My main concern is do heaters auto shut off at certain temps?

- I'm also going to get a moss ball as a buddy, will the Betta nip at it as food? Is my only concern.

Thanks for any help and I will greatly appreciate any basic Betta fish tips since I am soooo new to this :)

2. Boeing250

Boeing250Well Known MemberMember

My bettas will only eat the Aqueon Betta food. They are very health and love it.

I'm not sure about the heater, just watch the water temp.

No, I do not think a Betta would try to nip at the moss ball. Oh, and the only problem with moss balls is that snail eggs come in on them.

3. fishguy122

fishguy122Well Known MemberMember

Is the tank cycled?

4. OP
    OP
    Crabby654

So the tank is 3 days old, day one I added water conditioner and day 2 I added a bottle of Tetra Safe Start Plus.

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Hi there! I used the Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets, but I think I've seen lots of other people recommending the Omega One brand.

As for the heater, it should shut off, I think. I mean, I don't ever mess with my heater, but I have an adjustable heater and it only heats as much as I adjust it to, sometimes goes up a degree, though. Would recommend a thermometer too, I have a digital one after my glass(?) one broke and my mom got kinda freaked out when she found out because I think she was scared it might have something toxic, but I don't think it did, so.........

Don't know about the moss ball, but I personally wouldn't think he could really hurt it, but someone please correct me on that if I'm wrong.

6. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

Heaters have a built in thermostat that shuts the heater off when the water reaches a certain temperature.

The moss ball will be fine.

And I feed my betta omega one flakes, frozen mysis shrimp and frozen brine shrimp.

7. OP
    OP
    Crabby654

Talking about heaters, there's 2 different ones I was looking at PetCo. One was an 18$ stick to the side of the tank heater and the other was a 10$ under the gravel heater, looked really minimalist. I'm sort of leaving to the under the gravel one because of less clutter but I'm not sure hmm. Heaters and hot components around water and plastic make me nervous because I have water cooled computers in the last and have had a few mishaps.

8. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

I'd go with the wall mounted heater. But what brand are they? There are really good heaters for cheap online such as aqueon pro heaters.

9. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I feed my betta Omega One betta buffet pellets, it's a high quality brand. Since you only have the one betta, I would feed the best food possible. It only costs $1-2 more than the other brands.

10. OP
    OP
    Crabby654

Ok awesome so I will buy omega then! As for the heater brand I have no idea, it was the only wall heater that was under 30$ I believe.

This might be more of a vague question but how is electricity usage with this equipment, filter for s 2.5 gallon tank, LED roof light and a small heater? I only ask because i may be overdoing it with things plugged in, in my room.

11. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

It's a miniscule amount, I wouldnt worry about it. With the Omega One, I do twice a day feeding, 3-5 pellets each time. That little can of Omega One will last you a very long time lol.

12. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

I have multiple small fish tanks running and the total electricity hasn't changed noticeably. LED lights are unbelievably cheap to run as well. The light output per watt is astonishing! I plugged in a 7 watt last night to check it and nearly blinded my roommate :p

If you're really worried about over-extending the outlets in your room is there any chance of keeping your tank in another room? I used to keep one in my bathroom and that was an 8 gallon, quite a bit bigger than yours! You can also add up the power draws of everything you have plugged in and see if you're anywhere near capacity. There's a way to do that and you can look it up, I can't remember how off the top of my head.

13. OP
    OP
    Crabby654

Ya I can't really move the tank to another room unfortuantly, but I do have a fair amount of electronics that I do not need plugged in, PS4 controller charger, HDMI Switcher, other random junk. May just cut back!

Here is a picture of the way my tank looks at the moment. I had posted this in another thread but I'm curious what other Betta owners think. I'm going to be getting a leaf hammock (which I think will be good in the top right), the heater which I may put in the back left behind the filter, and eventually a Moss Ball. Does anyone have any tips for when I decide to add those things, or perhaps remove anything I have in their already?

Tank.jpg

14. kuhliloach85

kuhliloach85Valued MemberMember

I like your tank's color scheme. :)

I have all natural looking aquariums, but I dig a well coordinated colorful one. I think a moss ball would look stellar in there.

15. OP
    OP
    Crabby654

Thank you! I love black and white "modern" themes myself and I am super jelous of your betta in your avatar! So pretty.

So yesterday I put in the bottle of TSS+ in the tank to jump start the cycle process. However the past 2 days the tank seems a little white cloudy, in the other thread I was told this is normal and its a "bacteria bloom" how long does this last normally?

16. fishguy122

fishguy122Well Known MemberMember

I had a bacterial bloom the other day in a new tank, usually lasts for around a day or two...

17. OP
    OP
    Crabby654

I was also wondering, how can I tell of my Betta is thriving or just surviving? He appears really active but I'm not really a fish expert so I'm not sure. My niece has 2 bettas in a 2 gallon tank with no filter but they seem really inactive and don't move a whole lot.

this also might be a dumb question but regarding specifically to bettas, will thriving show any physical changes over time?

18. BornThisWayBettas

Imo, if he's thriving, he'll be swimming around actively, his colors will be bright and vibrant, he will be more interactive and aware of his surroundings, and he'll be eating well. :)

Physical changes as in.........?

19. OP
    OP
    Crabby654

Oh I was sure if his tail or fins would grow or change colors, I saw s few things about bettas changing colors, wasn't sure if it had anything to do with it.

20. BornThisWayBettas

Once you bring them home from the pet store and get them into suitable housing, bettas often "color up", meaning their colors become more vibrant and all. I think I have heard of cases though, where they color up so much that it almost looks like they change color, but I believe it's more like a variant of the "original" color. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice