Couple questions about a fishless cycle

1. jhappach Member Member

Is this the right type of ammonia? This is the best I could find after going to 10 places today. This was at Ace, they didn't have the Ace brand. I think it's the right stuff but want to know before adding it to my tank.

[​IMG]

Second question is, I filled my tank for the first time last night and dosed it with Prime. Do I have to wait 24 hours before adding the ammonia dose? I'm not adding any TSS+.

Third question, I tested the water out of my tap, the ph is 7.4. Anything to be concerned about or is that OK for this cycle? What about beyond? Basically I don't know what the ph reading means.

Fourth question. To figure out how much ammonia I will need to bring my 20g up to 4ppm I was going to figure out how many drops it took to get a 5 gallon bucket up to 4ppm. I added 10 drops and it brought 5g up to 2ppm. But here are the questions:
    • It's OK that I added ammonia directly to chlorinated water to do this test, right? i.e. I didn't does the bucket with prime or anything.
    • There is no agitation in the bucket. I waited a good half hour after dosing it to make sure it had "settled", but is it OK that I didn't mix the water up at all? Essentially I added the ammonia directly to the top, and then took a sample from the top too. Are my results reliable? Did the ammonia settle and disperse?

Fifth question. To test water I'm having to use an eyedropper (I have 2). If I suck up ammonia-laden water with the eyedropper, is a good rinse sufficient to make it OK to use with clean water again?

Sixth question. Similar to above, same question with buckets. Do I have to designate one as a "dirty water bucket" because it has held dirty water in it, and therefore might have traces of ammonia? Or does a good rinse out with hot water make it OK to use with fresh water again?

Thank you thank you thank you! Still learning the ropes obviously.

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

A rinse with tap water should be fine. I wouldn't use the eye dropper as an eye dropper again though hahaha. But the bucket should be fine for your fishy needs. I use the same bucket to haul out old water and pour in new water and haven't had any problems. Also! Test your clean tap water as tap water can have ammonia in the first place. You want to know how much ammonia is going into your water changes.

Also, are you using test strips or the liquid test kit? If you're using strips, pick up an API Freshwater Master Test Kit. You won't regret it!

3. jhappach Member Member

I'm using the API Master Test Kit. I tested the tap water today, ammonia was 0 or 0.25 at most (somewhere between those 2 colors).

So, negligible if any.

4. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Awesome! My tap water registers .50

As for some of your other questions. Try shaking your ammonia bottle. If it gets really bubbly and frothy you shouldn't use it, but if it gets some bubbles that clear up pretty quickly it should be safe. This is because if there's any scent additives or other stuff the liquid will froth up, you don't want that in your tank. Pure ammonia shouldn't froth up, that's what you want.

And the Ph should be fine I think. I don't know about the rest of the questions. Hopefully somebody can help you out with those.

Good luck and be sure to show off your tank once you've got it decorated and keep us posted on your cycle and of course when you decide to add fish let us know! The forums here can help a lot.

5. jhappach Member Member

Thanks!

I knew about the shake trick, when I shake the bottle there is no froth at all. So I think I'll be fine. It's been 21 hours already since I dosed it with prime so I guess I'll just wait 3 more hours to be safe. Not a big deal.

6. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Also! Check the ingredients list on that ammonia too. It should say only two things. Water, and Ammonia. If there's anything else then I'm not sure it's good for aquarium use.

Sounds like you've done your research. This your first tank? If so you're off to a great start. You can never do enough research.

7. jhappach Member Member

No ingredient list at all, which is irritating.

Yeah, first tank. Been reading a lot and asking a ton of questions, as you can see. I'm probably the most irritating new poster but I'm learning my stuff.

8. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Haha not at all. That's what we're here for and I'm sure we'd all much rather spend time explaining things to newcomers rather than having them kill their fish and discourage themselves without help!

And that IS irritating. As long as it doesn't froth up I'd say it should be fine, unless anyone else that has used this brand can give you info.