Couple of questions

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by xxSTEPHENSxx, Apr 19, 2010.

1. xxSTEPHENSxxValued MemberMember

1. My 10gal tank has been cycling since February and still no nitrites...:;dk I have a small chunk of shrimp in it. But nothing...

2. In my 55gal I am starting to have a little algae so what should I do? I have been brushing it off of the glass when I do maintenance.

3. Some how I have acquired a snail or two.... how did this happen?

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

snails would have hitchhiked on your plants.

you can use an algae magnet for the algae. What kind is it?
    Otos are good algae removers, but your tank is too new to sustain them. I would suggest a BN pleco, but you already have a pleco, and I don't know about aggression issues.

What's your ammonia level at? Nitrite and nitrate are zero?

3. xxSTEPHENSxxValued MemberMember

That explains the snails! Thanks harpua! :)

I will check out the algae magnet... not sure another pleco is a good idea... the one I have poops way more than I would like.

0-0-.5 are my readings right now... it has been about 4 days since I last tested.

Thanks for the help!

4. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Umm... I'm not Harpua ;) But I will take it as a compliment, since she's my friend and very smart.

The .5 is the ammonia? I'm not sure why you aren't seeing a rise. You're sure you are doing the test right? ???

5. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Jaime, are you using a liquid test kit or a strip test? The paper strip tests are not reliable, that's why I ask.

6. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

API is what's listed in the aquarium info, Caroline.

7. trailblazer295Well Known MemberMember

I have a small snail I see from time to time in my 30g he must have made it from my 5g though I don't know how he got in there. Only seen one so not problems yet with an explosion.

8. jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

well i was going to say a couple nerite snails....but i'm not sure you'd want those since you have some sort of hitchhiker snails. but nerites are great algae eaters, plus they eat other stuff that's lingering. and their eggs can't hatch in freshwater (they need brackish). maybe you can try to get rid of the other snails.....? i've heard floating a piece of lettuce is a good snail magnet :):;snail

9. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Doh. :;smack :;fim

10. xxSTEPHENSxxValued MemberMember

Im sorry... that was my 55gal that is cycled... it is .50 nitrates.

My readings are 4 ammonia 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates in the 10 gal.

Harpua sold me some plants is what I meant by that! I obviously got a snail from her ;D sorry for the mix up.

11. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

funny..

12. xxSTEPHENSxxValued MemberMember

He seems to be growing fast!! I think he is eating my algae which I don't mind at all. I will keep an eye out to make sure he doesn't start to multiply.

13. xxSTEPHENSxxValued MemberMember

So any ideas on why my 10 gal won't cycle?

14. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Oops! Snails never overpopulate in my tanks, so I don't worry about whether they are in there or not. :p

15. xxSTEPHENSxxValued MemberMember

No worries! I got a free book and a free snail out of the deal! :;snail:;thx

16. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I don't know why your tank isn't cycling. Bumping up the temp will make it go faster, since you are cycling without fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice