Couple of questions about fish compatibility

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by 1hawaii50, Apr 2, 2010.

1. 1

1hawaii50 Valued Member Member

I have the following fish in my community tank:
    2 Red Tuxedo Platys
    2 Rainbow Platys
    6 Praecox Rainbows
    6 Panda Corys
    1 German Blue Ram

I noticed that the water temp recommendations for the Ram are 78-85F. The highest recommended temp for the Platys is 77F. I run my tank at 76F-78F. Does anybody think that this will pose a problem for any of the fish? Should I run it a little warmer?

Also, for the above-mentioned fish, are there any good vitamin supplements that I could add to the water, or will they really not do any good?

2. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I think your temp will be fine if you bumped it up a bit I doubt it'd hurt but I don't think one degree is going to cause you too bad of problems.

I'm not sure about the compatability of the rams as I have never owned one but that sounds like a good stocking list if the ram is compatable with the rest of your fish

3. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd advise keeping the ram at 81-83F. Since the other fish you have are much more hardy than the ram, I think you should raise your temp. As always, this is JMO and I'm basing it on meeting the ram's needs as your most sensitive fish. :)

4. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

I concur with harpua. Set the tank up for the "delicate" species and the hardier fish will be fine. That's what I've always done.

5. OP
    OP

OK, no problems with the Corys at the that temp?

6. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm honestly not sure. REDKAHUNA is a cory breeder, though, and would be a great person to ask as I'm pretty sure he breeds pandas. He's a really cool guy and I'm sure he wouldn't mind a PM. :)

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree.

8. OP
    OP

Thanks!, I bumped the temp last night. As far as feeding goes, are there any tricks? The Rainbows attack the food at the top of the tank (flakes) like a school of angry sharks. They quickly got smart and realized that I lure them to the left top corner of the tank with flakes and then drop shrimp pellets to the Cory's on the right side of the tank! Now, a couple Rainbows will quickly break off from the "flake-attacking" pack and head over to the right side to wait for the falling shrimp pellets...it's actually pretty funny to watch!

The Platys kind of lazily make their way eventually to the top to try to get anything that the Rainbows missed. The Cory's go right to the algae wafer and shrimp pellets. The Ram just kind of hangs out at the bottom of the tank. I know it will take a few days for the Ram to adjust, but is there anything I can do to be sure he gets food? Or is it one of those things where when he is hungry enough then he will join the Rainbows in there feeding frenzy?

Also, are there any good/decent vitamin supplements that anybody recommends? I know Garlic drops are supposed to be good, and I'm probably going to order some when I order some more Prime. Should I pick up any vitamins also, or not worry about it?

9. Jaysee

I like to put the food in the filter outflow, t hat way the food gets distributed throughout the tank. its hard to hog all the food when its everywhere.

10. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Along with Garlic Gaurd, I use Vita-Chem. I order both from Drs. Foster and Smith's website.

Vita-Chen is a liquid vitimin. You can add a few drops on the food and let it soak in, or put some drops directly into the tank.

11. OP
    OP

The funny thing is, I have always turned the filter off when I feed them. I figured it was easier on them for me to drop it into the tank and not have it floating all over. :;smack...never even thought of doing it the other way, and just let them go after it!

Thanks, that's what I was wondering. The sales worker at my LFS sold me some "Tropical Science IMMUNE-PLUS". I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it...I don't know anything about it.

12. Jaysee

I like to make my fish work for their food :) I've never turned the filters off when feeding.

13. OP
    OP

That's a solution that is so simple that I feel like a moron for even asking!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice