couple of co2 questions.

shannon66

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 10 gallon with live plants and they seem to be doing well without co2 should i still use it?

Also in my 55 gal i have the redsea co2 canister dispenser it keeps making a grinding crunchy sound. And i dont even see bubbles coming out ever. I replaced the yeast media.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What's the wattage for the 10g? From what I understand, if your plants are growing fine then there's no need to supplement CO2. I'm no expert so we'll see what some other members say.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm guessing they're all low-light plants if they're doing ok in there. I think with low-light plants you typically don't need to supplement any CO2.

Oh yea, and Welcome to FL

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the plants are growing well & you are not having algae troubles I wouldn't be worried about adding any co2.

I've never used the Red-Sea co2 reactors so I can't comment on them really but if your not getting any bubbles through then either the yeast reaction is not taking place of the unit has a leak somewhere. I've always regarded these commercially available fermentation systems with great suspicion. DIY rigs are far superior IMO.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FL

Is the 10G heavily planted?
Most low-light plants will be fine without CO2 injection, unless heavily planted, in which you might have plants 'fighting' for the CO2.

If you keep up the regular water changes, you should be able to keep your phosphates in check, and will also introduce CO2 back into the water.

I'm not sure the best answer, but I'm having great success with regular doses of Seachem Flourish Excel (which adds carbon into the water)

Just as a last point: watch for signs of algae, which are great indicators of a nutrient imbalance.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom