Country Music Awards (cma's)

Pescado_Verde

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Don't know if anyone on here watched the show but Garth Brooks debuted a new song and I'm proud to say that the song was co-written by one of my nephews.

That's all I got.

OP
Pescado_Verde

Pescado_Verde

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
By the way, the song is titled "Stronger Than Me". If you like it please call your local country and western radio station and request it so that Verde's oldest brother can maybe finally retire.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I love the CMA's and look forward to watching it each year. Brad Paisley is my son's favorite artist and the cheesy jokes by him and Carrie always make me laugh.

I enjoyed Garth's new song and feel special to 'know' you, as someone related to the songwriter.

I'm not real big on the awards themselves and usually am just happy to watch the show for the jokes and performances... but I did get quite excited when my favorite new artist won the New Artist category. Way to go Luke Combs!!

Pescado_Verde said:
By the way, the song is titled "Stronger Than Me". If you like it please call your local country and western radio station and request it so that Verde's oldest brother can maybe finally retire.
I'll be very happy to do so.

OP
Pescado_Verde

Pescado_Verde

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Being from Texas I'll admit that Nashville country is not my thing but I'm happy for my nephew. He's been in Nashville for a long time and worked with a lot of the luminaries of that town over the years but I think this was pretty special.

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Garth Brooks is one of my all time favorites. That being said, I don't usually watch the award shows much as I just don't keep up with them or really care lol.

That's awesome that your nephew gets that experience!

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pescado_Verde said:
Being from Texas I'll admit that Nashville country is not my thing but I'm happy for my nephew. He's been in Nashville for a long time and worked with a lot of the luminaries of that town over the years but I think this was pretty special.
Well, being from South Florida I'll admit that I am not a fan of the genres that are popular in my area. I am first a rock n' roll fan, but a lot of classic rock isn't much of a stretch to southern rock, which in turn isn't much of a stretch to country. Country music wasn't really my thing at first but who could ignore Garth in the 90's? Gotta thank that man for opening my eyes, BUT, I think you'll appreciate that one of my top favorites is a Texan and the king of country. So, Green Fish, what's your favorite song by the one and only George Strait? Not sure I can pick a single favorite myself but Amarillo by Morning, The Fireman, Oceanfront Property, Carrying Your Love with Me, I Get Carried Away and Give It All We Got Tonight all come to mind right now.

ValerieAdams said:
Garth Brooks is one of my all time favorites. That being said, I don't usually watch the award shows much as I just don't keep up with them or really care lol.

That's awesome that your nephew gets that experience!
I am totally not one to watch award shows either, but I've gotta say, if you're a fan of country, you might enjoy the CMA's. It is literally the only awards show that I care about... at all. It's a pretty fun show with great performances.

WinterSoldier.

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pescado_Verde said:
I will request it today!

I'm a die hard country fan. Although I prefer Thomas Rhett, Kane Brown, and Jimmy Allen over Garth Brooks I think that's awesome that your nephew was able to do that

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
WinterSoldier. said:
I'm a die hard country fan. Although I prefer Thomas Rhett, Kane Brown, and Jimmy Allen over Garth Brooks I think that's awesome that your nephew was able to do that
Check out Cody Johnson.. you'll like him if you like them

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WinterSoldier. said:
I will request it today!

ValerieAdams said:
Check out Cody Johnson.. you'll like him if you like them
Youngins. I'm not usually a hater. May I be honest? I was having something to drink while reading your comment, and I kid you not, sweet tea went flying because... die-hard country fan and those newbs do not belong in the same sentence! Kinda, sorta... maybe not really kidding. :hilarious: Fyi, seriously, I am not a hater.

#Respect

OP
Pescado_Verde

Pescado_Verde

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
stella1979 said:
Well, being from South Florida I'll admit that I am not a fan of the genres that are popular in my area. I am first a rock n' roll fan, but a lot of classic rock isn't much of a stretch to southern rock, which in turn isn't much of a stretch to country. Country music wasn't really my thing at first but who could ignore Garth in the 90's? Gotta thank that man for opening my eyes, BUT, I think you'll appreciate that one of my top favorites is a Texan and the king of country. So, Green Fish, what's your favorite song by the one and only George Strait? Not sure I can pick a single favorite myself but Amarillo by Morning, The Fireman, Oceanfront Property, Carrying Your Love with Me, I Get Carried Away and Give It All We Got Tonight all come to mind right now.

I am totally not one to watch award shows either, but I've gotta say, if you're a fan of country, you might enjoy the CMA's. It is literally the only awards show that I care about... at all. It's a pretty fun show with great performances.
Definitely "Amarillo By Morning". If you're ever in Texas and in between Austin and San Antonio on I-35 there's a little town by the name of San Marcos. George went to college there and the taco joint, Herbert's, has been one of Georges hang outs for years. Good food too.

I grew up on rock too but being from Texas it was hard to ignore Willie and Waylon and the rest of the outlaw movement during the '70's. Austins "Armadillo World Headquarters" was pretty much the epicenter for that ant-Nashville movement. And someone who adopted your state, Jimmy Buffett, started out with a very Nashville sound but gradually found his niche in shrimpboat rock. Lots of overlap between all of it, from The Eagles to Lynryd Skynyrd to Molly Hatchet etc...
I'm just not a big fan of the fabricated stuff that comes from Nashville. But hey, if people are buying it and it keeps my family in food I'm all for it!

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pescado_Verde said:
Definitely "Amarillo By Morning". If you're ever in Texas and in between Austin and San Antonio on I-35 there's a little town by the name of San Marcos. George went to college there and the taco joint, Herbert's, has been one of Georges hang outs for years. Good food too.

I grew up on rock too but being from Texas it was hard to ignore Willie and Waylon and the rest of the outlaw movement during the '70's. Austins "Armadillo World Headquarters" was pretty much the epicenter for that ant-Nashville movement. And someone who adopted your state, Jimmy Buffett, started out with a very Nashville sound but gradually found his niche in shrimpboat rock. Lots of overlap between all of it, from The Eagles to Lynryd Skynyrd to Molly Hatchet etc...
I'm just not a big fan of the fabricated stuff that comes from Nashville. But hey, if people are buying it and it keeps my family in food I'm all for it!
Love it. Guess I'm pretty easy going and like a lots of tunes, but singer/songwriters like George will always have my heart.

My goodness, how did I not know that about Jimmy Buffet? I am not only a Floridian but a true Conch!! Meaning, I call the Florida Keys my hometown, and as you may imagine, Jimmy was/is highly celebrated there. I've been to Margaritaville lots of times and will admit to feeling disappointed when finding out his first one was in Alabama. Also, that The Beach Boy's Kokomo was fictional. There was a pool bar called Kokomo at Holiday Isle in Islamorada. As a child, I spent plenty of time in that pool or playing on the nearby beach... and naturally, thought that place was what the song was about.

OP
Pescado_Verde

Pescado_Verde

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
stella1979 said:
Love it. Guess I'm pretty easy going and like a lots of tunes, but singer/songwriters like George will always have my heart.

My goodness, how did I not know that about Jimmy Buffet? I am not only a Floridian but a true Conch!! Meaning, I call the Florida Keys my hometown, and as you may imagine, Jimmy was/is highly celebrated there. I've been to Margaritaville lots of times and will admit to feeling disappointed when finding out his first one was in Alabama. Also, that The Beach Boy's Kokomo was fictional. There was a pool bar called Kokomo at Holiday Isle in Islamorada. As a child, I spent plenty of time in that pool or playing on the nearby beach... and naturally, thought that place was what the song was about.
Jimmy stayed with a fellow Texan early in his career, Jerry Jeff Walker who was living in FL at the time, crashing on his couch while he considered his next move - was thinking of just giving it up. Jerry kept at him and the rest is history. "Margaritaville" was, I believe, written in Austin, TX. and at a minimum was an homage to the margaritas at Cocina Del Sur in Austin (long closed).
Jimmy's early albums had a very distinct "Nashville"/country sound. It's hard for me to wrap my head around how young he was when he was writing some of his best material. Many of his lyrics had the sound of someone much older and wiser.

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
stella1979 said:
Youngins. I'm not usually a hater. May I be honest? I was having something to drink while reading your comment, and I kid you not, sweet tea went flying because... die-hard country fan and those newbs do not belong in the same sentence! Kinda, sorta... maybe not really kidding. :hilarious: Fyi, seriously, I am not a hater.

#Respect
Hahaha I agree with you Stella, I thought the same thing but wasn't going to mention it. I definitely love all the country, probably the 90s being my favorite. But the new stuff sometimes really isn't "country" and I don't completely understand how it has changed into what it is now. It's more of a pop-country genre. I still love it. Though I have been very much so into the lesser known artists like Cody Johnson and Tyler Childers

Edit: Carried Away just came on Pandora, one of my favorites too Stella

New Threads