could you recognize the disease?

free.will77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
these are the photos I could take from the poor male guppies. could you tell me what disease they have? the tip of the tail and around the fish is somehow white velvety. or maybe I'm wrong. I don't know but I am doing the water change and less times feeding. :'(

Bahar

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not as experienced as most people here... So I don't recognize anything wrong with your fish. Have you check this part of the site https://www.fishlore.com/Disease.htm ?

Good luck

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI free.will
Is your aquarium information up to date? I was wondering about what fish are in the tank.
Could be from nipping or poor water conditions.
I know from your other thread that the stores near you don't sell test kits.
Have you checked into ordering one on line?
Knowing the exact readings would be helpful in this situation.

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If its white and velvety it could possibly be nipping, finrot or a fungus.

free.will77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI guys
the main tank's about 75 litres and the temperature is around 27 c. it's filtered and heated. there are a neon, a razbora, a cat fish, female guppies and female guppy fries, yesterday I put back the male guppies in the main tank with the other above which I mentioned.
I am thinking that it was because of overfeeding (3 times a day) maybe, could you tell me what would happen because of overfeeding? what disease?

thank you
Bahar

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Finrot and fungal diseases

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
White velvety you say? Velvet, fin rot, and fungus are a few words that pop up in my head. I can't really see in the pictures, but a white velvet description seems universal enough to make an accurate conclusion.
Move the fish to a quarantine tank, if you have one, add some salt, raise the temp a little, and it should begin to heal. And anti-fungal and bacterial infection antibiotics can't always hurt.

How much do you feed them every feeding? I use to feed a pinch three times a day, but I was overfeeding purposely because I had to make sure food sank to the bottom for the shrimp. I cut back to half a pinch two times a day, and it's helped.
Mainly, the only problem with overfeeding is the tank water will get dirty. It will build up additional ammonia in the water, and that can cause stress on the fish, or even give them ammonia poisoning, resulting in death. Stress that can lower immune systems, which will make them more vulnerable to disease. Such as fin rot, or velvet.

Fin rot is a bacterial infection that can develop in wounds on the fish's fins from being torn either by nipping or other means. Such as, you reaching into the tank to move something, and accidentally pinning the fish against something, and them struggling to get free, ripping their fins as they do so.

Velvet and fungus develop on the fish's slime coat. When water conditions are not good, bacteria can be in the water and can lead to the developing of velvet or other fungal infections.

Hope this helps!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads