Could use some help treating columnaris (the slow kind)

1. JaneGael

JaneGael Valued Member Member

My betta apparently came in with it and that was on the first of December 2015. He had a grey patch above one eye that I thought was discoloration. Well, in the last couple of weeks it's gotten fluffy and now I noticed a patch on the nose of one of my other bettas. I've ruled pretty much everything except the slow-growing columnaris out. I started with Seachem Paraguard since I wasn't sure what he had. The patch when from whitish back to grey, but it's not gone so its time to call in the Calvary, especially as my other boy has it now.

I called Seachem and they recommended Focus (nitrofurantoin) and Kanaplex in equal amounts in the food. Okaaay. Théoden will probably eat almost anything if he's hungry. Elsa (he's a male - don't ask) is incredibly fussy and demands frozen red worms and brine shrimp and even then spits half of it out. I'm worried about Elsa's tank mates eating medicated food. Seachem warned me not to give it to the shrimp and snails and Elsa has a lot of snails and a few shrimp as he's very peaceful. I'm not sure it's a good idea to put them into another tank in case they are carrying the disease and my quarantine tank is full at the moment.

The shrimp are a couple of amano and ghosts. But the snails are lovely ivory mysteries and some horned nerites as well as a lot of adorable little bladder snails. I could replace the shrimp but I'd hate to kill my beautiful snails.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. OP
    OP
    JaneGael

JaneGael Valued Member Member

I am apparently on my own with this. Other forums haven't responded either. I've read some articles on treatment, but they are general and don't tell me the exact amount of medications used. I don't want to guess. At the moment I'm leaning toward dips rather than food since Elsa is such a poor eater. I'm lucky it's the slow kind so that they aren't in danger of dying before I can figure this out.

4. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry no one has answered. Someone with experience needs to happen onto the post. I have not had to deal with columnaris before. Don't even know what it is so I would have to do a lot of research putting me in the same exact spot you are at the moment.

Can you move the shrimp and snails out temporarily while you treat the tank? Set up a temporary with a rubber maid tub? Or reverse that by making it your makeshift QT?

Hopefully someone that has successfully beaten the disease will help out soon. Otherwise, keep researching. I hope you are able to find something that works.

5. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

To be honest I don't know a slow or fast growing columnaris. If it is Columnaris there are meds that can be added to water instead of to the food. But how do you know it is Columnaris for sure?

6. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

Plenty of people know about and how to treat columnaris, its pretty easy. IDK why you did not get any responses from any others on here i guess its all up to me.
    The meds you are using are the correct meds
    You can use Maracyn-2, Terramycin, or Kanamycin to cure columnaris You can mix it in their food, buy premade antibiotic food from angelsplus.com or you can dose the tank but be aware kanamycin is easy to overdose and hard on their kidneys

7. uncclewis

uncclewis Well Known Member Member

I am currently treating it, and I am using kanaplex. One of my loaches cut his mouth and that stuff took hold