could two female guppies live happy in a h.o.b breeding box ? 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by scotty b, Dec 4, 2012.

1. scotty b

scotty bWell Known MemberMember

i have 2 female guppies in a 13.5 x 9 x 4 h.o.b breeding box on my 55 gallon. I would like to keep them in there to keep them pure for breeding program, could they live in there happily ? i have good parameters and it would be constantly renewing water from my main tank so water quality wont be a issue

2. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

What dimension is the 4? Height?

3. OP
    OP
    scotty b

13.5L x 9t x 4w

4. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

That sounds like the could fit relatively comfortably for a little while.

5. OP
    OP
    scotty b

but it wouldn't work long term? i would like to keep them isolated in there long term,

how long should they be with the male so they can get pregnant ? they have had 2 batches of fry in another tank so i think they will need to be with a male before i can get more fry (i keep the male in another tank )

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012
  6. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

Maybe put a small plant or moss ball in there with them?

7. OP
    OP
    scotty b

i have guppie grass and anacharis in with them

8. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I couldn't say for sure, but I don't think long-term would kill them, though the limited space might be detrimental to their health over time.

I think guppies can store sperm and keep having batches for about 4 months. As far as how long to be with him, I don't know, but a guess would be about 2 days to be certain.

9. AquariaUK

AquariaUKValued MemberMember

I would advise against long term, that isn't enough room. I think you could have a succesful breeding program with them kept in short term.

10. aquatic

aquaticValued MemberMember

I've never had females that enjoyed much time in the nets, so I can't imagine them enjoying it for several months. I think you'd be much better off with a 5-10 gallon tank just for them. This way once they get rid of any remaining older sperm you could drop your selected male into their tank and be sure you get the mating you are looking for.

11. OP
    OP
    scotty b

i moved my fry from the 20 gallon to my main tank , moved my betta into the 20 gallon and then moved the girls to a 10 gallon all is well lol

12. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Sounds great :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice