Could This Work For My 46 Gallon Stocking Idea

1. wolf1021

wolf1021 Valued Member Member

So could I have these fish
    12 tiger barbs
    1 german blue ram
    7 loaches( it will be kuhli loaches if I find them)
    1 rainbow shark
    and I'm having trouble coming up with a top dwelling fish so suggestions are always welcomed
    all help is also welcomed

2. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

I would not keep Tiger Barbs with a sensitive fish like a GBR, because the Barbs will constantly nip at him. I also wouldn't keep any other top dwelling fish with them in this small of a tank. Also Rainbow Sharks are aggressive to other bottom dwellers so the Kuhlis would be in danger. What do you find interesting about all of those fish and we can help you find a stock that is better for you and your fish.

3. OP
    OP
    wolf1021

I have a smaller 10 gallon with the tiger barbs (3 of the little guys) and 1 rainbow shark and I know they cant be kept in a 10 for long so I wanted to move them for the GBR I just love the colors its just so stunning and I was looking for a colorful centerpiece fish And for the Kuhli fish I was going to go with ropefish but just too aggressive to smaller fish I just love the eel shape body and the striped kuhli is also very stunning

4. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Well, kuhlies and rainbows tend to work in the correct set up, but consistent this tank is below the minimum i wouldn’t suggest any other bortom dweller, kncluding a ram. I’d really just recommend the rainbow shark, tigers(12-15), and maybe trying a bn.

5. OP
    OP
    wolf1021

what is a bn I'm still new to the whole fish ocean thank you for your take

6. Platylover

Bristle nose

7. OP
    OP
    wolf1021

I was going to try those instead of the loach because it hard to find the striped ones is there any center peace fish I could add to the family

8. Platylover

The BN was what I was thinking about for the centerpeice, although I’m sure others will have other ideas.

9. OP
    OP
    wolf1021

And Platylover I have a 10 gallon and I'm moving the fish from the 10 gallons (my 10 is cycled and is supporting my fish) to my 46 but my 46 is still cycling I was wondering could I move my filter media to my 46 gallon filter (it's a penguin bio wheel with 2 filter slots) and move my fish to my 46 and kill them
    PH is 7.5
    ammonia in 46-gallon tank is .25
    nitrites 0 in 46 gallon

and thank you for all your help I'm going to do more research on the BN

10. Platylover

I’m hoping you mean not kill them? Lol. I️ haven’t really done this myself, but many have. What I’d suggest is moving the whole filter to the 46g with them and keeping an eye on parameters. You can slowly remove the filter media(or keep it and the old filter in, your choice).
    No problem, glad i could be of some help.:)

11. OP
    OP
    wolf1021

yes without kill them type o and thank you