Could This Cpd Be Sick?

Meldyran

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a small update for anyone interested.

I ended up placing all three of the fish in a smaller container and doing a 1hr dip of the Paraguard before placing them back. a day later I added the two healthy ones in my 10 gallon with my other nine. It has been about a week since the dip, and the CPD seems to be doing better.

Im basing this solely on his activity levels, and sings like his back fin not being as straight and clamped as before. However, physically I havent detected a marked difference yet.

He is much more interested in food now, which I am happy about, however he definitely has a problem eating. I feed him what i do my other CPDs which are fish flakes, for him i take care to crush them a bit smaller. When they float on the surface he immediately goes up, unlike he did before, and tries biting at them.

However I have noticed that he often misses.

Keeping my eye on a flake I will see him try to take a bit at them but the flake will just bob around and away.

He is able to go after those inbetween pieces, small enough to get in his mouth, but large enough to see.

So I am still unsure about precisely what his issue is. At the moment I am starting to believe that perhaps it is a genetic defect on his face, and perhaps he was just weak before because he couldnt compete for food- and now without tankmakes he can feed, and has slowly gained strength back.

That however, could also be because whatever illness or parasite is healing, and he has more appetite.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I guess it still isn't clear though I find it a good sign that he is still doing relatively okay.

Meldyran

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello guys, I wanted to give another update on this guy. I have seen a marked improvement with him and I am now considering adding him with the rest.

What I suspect the problem to have been is a facial deformity making it harder for him to eat. Which has left him to be outcompeted for food. I spsect his back wasn't bent, more so that his stomach was caved in because he was underfed. As you guys can appreciate in some of the photos his face looks a bit flat and his mouth a bit hight.

It is difficult taking a good picture but I will also attach the befor s I posted earlier.

I am still open to suggestions on what the issue is/was here, so please feel free to chime in with your own ideas
After (click and zoom) I'm a bad photographer
IMG_20191007_010435.jpg MVIMG_20191007_010530.jpg

Before
MVIMG_20190913_171331.jpg

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Meldyran said:
Hello guys, I wanted to give another update on this guy. I have seen a marked improvement with him and I am now considering adding him with the rest.

What I suspect the problem to have been is a facial deformity making it harder for him to eat. Which has left him to be outcompeted for food. I spsect his back wasn't bent, more so that his stomach was caved in because he was underfed. As you guys can appreciate in some of the photos his face looks a bit flat and his mouth a bit hight.

It is difficult taking a good picture but I will also attach the befor s I posted earlier.

I am still open to suggestions on what the issue is/was here, so please feel free to chime in with your own ideas
After (click and zoom) I'm a bad photographer
IMG_20191007_010435.jpg MVIMG_20191007_010530.jpg

Before
MVIMG_20190913_171331.jpg
Well done !!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom