Could This Cloudy Water Be From Not Enough Bio Media?

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my snail tank. I've got two HOBs on there, and its only a 29 gallon tank, so even with the high bio load the filters have generally been able to keep up to task.

So the other day I noticed this cloudy water. I thought for sure it was some uneaten food I had given them that must have fouled the water because I gave them too much and they did not eat it quick enough.

But, since then I've done two water changes, and when I do them the water gets a lot better, this cloudiness has come back both times.

So I started thinking. The only thing I have really done different is that I took most of my "hard" bio media, generally those ceramic rings and some other miscellaneous things, and replaced them with more sponge bio media - my idea was that since the snails poop an awful lot I would have extra mechanical to soak that up, and I should't really lose anything as far as bio media goes because sponges can also house the beneficial bacteria.

But could the water getting so cloudy actually be an indication of not enough beneficial bacteria, and a confirmation that media designed first and foremost for biological filtration, like ceramic rings, can in fact house significantly more beneficial bacteria than sponges?

Thanks!

nMlvHNk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
put the ceramic back in ASAP, you have triggered a cycle. what you are viewing is a bacterial bloom. you could potenially kill any fish in there.

Wholly smokes!!! Will do so as soon as I get home! Thanks!

Large water changes only resets the cycle, don't do more than 10-15% a week. Fit as much media as the filters can hold. Patience usually gets rid of bacterial blooms, also a lot of aeration to speed it up.

Interesting you say that about the aeration. I literally had like 3 different air pumps putting air in the tank, just because I had them lying around. But another thing I did recently was turn two of the pumps off as it just seemed excessive, why waste the electricity. But maybe my tank being super-douper airated was helping the BB go into overdrive and by making it just regular airated it turned them back down into just regular bugs instead of super-bugs.

Last edited by a moderator:

joeyxl

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Large water changes only resets the cycle, don't do more than 10-15% a week. Fit as much media as the filters can hold. Patience usually gets rid of bacterial blooms, also a lot of aeration to speed it up.
the water column does not hold much BB as one might think. the bacteria needs to grow on the sponges, it doesn't just grow magically right away. he said he kept a bit in the filter so thats better than nothing, but id advise putting the ceramic back in, and let the sponges sit in the tank for a few weeks to grow BB on it. is this a snail breeding tank? i see tons of snails. id advise looking at mabye adding a internal sponge power filter or polisher (you can DIY one with a powerhead and a water bottle with either sponges or filter floss.)

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
the water column does not hold much BB as one might think. the bacteria needs to grow on the sponges, it doesn't just grow magically right away. he said he kept a bit in the filter so thats better than nothing, but id advise putting the ceramic back in, and let the sponges sit in the tank for a few weeks to grow BB on it. is this a snail breeding tank? i see tons of snails. id advise looking at mabye adding a internal sponge power filter or polisher (you can DIY one with a powerhead and a water bottle with either sponges or filter floss.)

Heyas Joey! So, its not a snail breeding tank per se, but I got a few mystery snails (and ramshorn and MTS) awhile back, and they started laying eggs, so I just let them go ahead and hatch, fast forward a couple months and BOOM, they are everywhere! I had a sponge filter in there... THEY ATE IT! Those things eat and poop like I could never have imagined. Here is a pic of my mostly eaten sponge filter lol.

7btaw80.jpg

joeyxl

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Heyas Joey! So, its not a snail breeding tank per se, but I got a few mystery snails (and ramshorn and MTS) awhile back, and they started laying eggs, so I just let them go ahead and hatch, fast forward a couple months and BOOM, they are everywhere! I had a sponge filter in there... THEY ATE IT! Those things eat and poop like I could never have imagined. Here is a pic of my mostly eaten sponge filter lol.

7btaw80.jpg

oh my lord! That is a very full snail tank. i would definatly stick with using the filter you already have and mabye even adding a presponge on the intake (the HOB).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom