Could this be seperated?

1. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I have bid on this tank and am pretty sure I am going to win it. The dimensions are ( 6'X2'6"X1'6") . These numbers gave me a weird number in my volume calculator...168 gallons...It has a small leak at the bottom that I have already stocked up on sealant for. He says there is a chip about 12 inches from the top but it isn't big and does not leak there.

Now I am wondering what I should do with it!!:;laughing How difficult would it be to seperate this for my bettas? Or would it be better to use if as a fry tank and divide the 38 gallon?? Is it even feasible to think of dividing such a big tank for bettas?
    I have 9 adults now and have bought 9 more from MM that will be with me some time in the next 2 weeks. One is in a 3 1/2 gallon , 2 females in a divided 5 gallon, and I have the remaining 6 in 2 ten gallon tanks divided 3 ways each. There are also 3 more 10 gallons divided and waiting for my new kids from MM.

That is alot of tanks using up a lot of room. It would be really nice to be able to divide a bigger tank for the adults and use the extra 10 gallons for breeding tanks. Any suggestions?:;dk???:;juggle

EDIT: Forgot the pics!

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

great looking tank but id be very leary about a leak at the bottom.thats where you want it the most secure as its where most of the weight from water and such is...im not sure a sealant would work and make me comfortable on it being stable...but thats just me

3. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

Well he said it is just a slow, small seam leak towards the bottom...I am certainly not an aquarium expert but I figured for the price it was worth trying.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

a seam leak is even more scarey to me...maybe some other members have better advice

5. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I could really use the advice!! Mom and I were planning to clean it up, seal it(if possible) then fill it up out on the front porch and leave it there for a few days to see how it does. If it fails to hold water, I will just have to get a lot of hermit crabs or something!!!:;laughing 3 people have already "won" this tank...I have been watching it for a while...2 never showed up to pick it up and the third decided they didn't want it. I figured even if I can't use it for fish, I love hermit crabs...lol...and for $30 I couldn't turn it down!

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

well if you have other uses for it just in case, and at that price, im all with ya! ;)

7. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I don't want any reptiles, but if it still leaks, I am open to any and all other suggestions for possible occupants!! Depending on just how much water it will hold before getting to the leak, my Mom is very inerested in growing water plants...Another possibility is if it holds water well, when I get back to Missouri for good in Feb or march, I can reset it up and put my oscars in it...then divide the 75 for bettas!! I love tank juggling!

EDIT: I DID manage to find several sites with great, easy to follow instructions on fixing seam leaks...even on replacing broken glass!

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I dont want to be the blah of your excitement by any means..im happy for you! and its a great looking tank....and the price is even better!!!!

ive replaced glass and seams and such ...but never in this size tank...mine were 5 or 10g tanks...again, im hoping some other members have better information as I agree, its a great price!

9. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

New silicone will not stick to old silicone...so to reseal a tank you have to strip the entire tank of the old silicone for it to be properly sealed. Plus it being on the bottom would make me nervous

10. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

He said near the bottom so I am crossing my fingers that it is on the side not actually on the bottom. I think if it turns out that it is on the bottom then I am not even going to try fixing that...I will just start looking for some other type of critter to fill the vacancy!:):;snail

11. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

hmm, i probably wouldn't use that particular tank for separating bettas. it will give you plenty of vertical room for separation, but not a lot of horizontal room for swimming which is what bettas really love.

if i had that tank i'd be putting a few goldfish in it! :)

12. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I was thinking if all goes right with the repair, I would find a way to either fill the tank half-way with gravel or something like that so they wouldn't have to swim so far up! But I have to admit, I was at the store getting some more frozen bbs and saw the most gorgeous silver butterfly koi...it was incredible!! Hmmmmm....

13. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

koi are wonderful but unfortunately won't fit in that tank :( they grow to about 3 feet and need about 1000 gallon pond, but there are a lot of goldies that look just like koi :) and of course a lot of wonderful other fish that would fit in that tank!

14. Fishnugget43 Member Member

One of my friends was in a similar situation,I suggested he do this... sort of he did some on his own... His was a 175gallon tank, It was up for sale for only 25 bucks so he got it the problem Was It had 2 cracks one on the side about 3 inches up and one on the bottom what he did was put down plywood over the bottom of the tank 1 layer of .25 inch thick and 3 layers of 1 inch thickthen he put a piece of glass over that and glued it down with like 3 different types of glue like super glue hot glue and gorilla glue... Then he sealed around the edges of the new glass bottom with silicone i think... and very evenly and nicely spray painted over the wood that was visible through the glass sides. It looks nice now and seems to hold water fine... Yes it took a lot of water space away from the tank but it was still a very large tank and Looks great.

Although I wont promise the same luck haha.

15. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I appreciate all the help...sadly I didn't make it back to my computer before the auction ended and I didn't win. However, if this buyer decides they don't want it then I get the second chance thing.

16. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

bummer, good luck though!

17. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Darn that you didn't win it, that was quite a tank!